Less than 2k miles on the OEM tires

GK2018

We made a last minute unplanned long road trip last week before I could replace the original tires that came with the 5th wheel (Rainier ST tires) and I'll be darned didn't have 2k miles on them when one blew. Thank goodness not much damage just tore some tyvek wrapping and messed up about an inch of the plastic fender well. We got really lucky because our hydraulic lines for our auto level system was right there next to the tire, I have no clue how that tire didn't hit those when it popped! We were definitely within load limits and proper inflation and driving anywhere between 60-65 mph the whole way. Long story short just had new Goodyears G614's put on yesterday but unfortunately it didn't happen before the blowout. Next major project to add to my list is building a plate steel wheel well so if I ever have another blowout the steel will contain the flying rubber. Murphy just beat me to the punch this time!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Flick

We made a last minute unplanned long road trip last week before I could replace the original tires that came with the 5th wheel (Rainier ST tires) and I'll be darned didn't have 2k miles on them when one blew. Thank goodness not much damage just tore some tyvek wrapping and messed up about an inch of the plastic fender well. We got really lucky because our hydraulic lines for our auto level system was right there next to the tire, I have no clue how that tire didn't hit those when it popped! We were definitely within load limits and proper inflation and driving anywhere between 60-65 mph the whole way. Long story short just had new Goodyears G614's put on yesterday but unfortunately it didn't happen before the blowout. Next major project to add to my list is building a plate steel wheel well so if I ever have another blowout the steel will contain the flying rubber. Murphy just beat me to the punch this time!

Yep, you did everything right and the tire still dictated the rules of the game. To those who abuse tire pressures, age of tires, tire blemishes and all other tire related failure reasons, you may as well have your Good Sam #’s handy if you can’t change it yourself. In other words, have that # included in your favorites list. Lol.

GK2018

Yep, you did everything right and the tire still dictated the rules of the game. To those who abuse tire pressures, age of tires, tire blemishes and all other tire related failure reasons, you may as well have your Good Sam #’s handy if you can’t change it yourself. In other words, have that # included in your favorites list. Lol.
I had to call roadside service for ours too, I didn't have my impact sockets and breaker bar but had a tire iron which was the right size for the lugs but with those new fancy aluminum alloy wheels I couldn't get the tire iron there to make a bite. Roadside service was pretty quick though and I'll give that guy a 5 star he took off the lug nuts we slapped the tire on there and he put the lug nuts right back on took less than 1 hour from the time I placed the call to hitting the road again! Tires are definitely not something to skimp on, I check ours every single time we stop even if it's 30 minutes after the last stop. I check tires, axles and do a complete walk around before hitting the road again. I've personally witnessed someone have a blowout on a double axle trailer once and when the 2nd tire blew on same side the trailer flipped over breaking off the truck hitch it was wild to say the least!

pedirob

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to replace the OEM tires on my camper with Goodyear Endurance. OEM tires are less than 2 years old. Thanks for sharing this post, now I feel better about the money I'm spending!

Rob

sengli

Its sad that the OEM tires on a lot of RV's are the cheapest thing they can use to get it out the door. A lot of people never pay attention either.

danemayer

No matter how careful you've been, or how much the tire cost, you still may have unseen damage to the tires caused during transport. If the transport driver drove at 75 mph for 1,000 miles, your tires could have internal damage that later manifests as a blowout.

GK2018

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to replace the OEM tires on my camper with Goodyear Endurance. OEM tires are less than 2 years old. Thanks for sharing this post, now I feel better about the money I'm spending!

Rob
It will definitely be money well spent! We got really lucky to not have much damage beyond the blow out. We had Goodyear Endurance on our Mallard M33 and I really liked them.

GK2018

No matter how careful you've been, or how much the tire cost, you still may have unseen damage to the tires caused during transport. If the transport driver drove at 75 mph for 1,000 miles, your tires could have internal damage that later manifests as a blowout.
That's very true, and inspecting mounted tires for damage is near impossible because they don't always show the issues through their sidewalls. I used to work at a tire shop and it was impressive with what kind of damaged tires folks operate on!

pedirob

New tires ready to go! Goodyear has a mobile service - they came right out to the storage facility and changed the tires there.

CF98DBE1-1585-4C41-A2DF-BC8DEB2B8AED.jpg

Attachments

• DF98F898-78E4-4433-B29B-E4454E5C3E9D.jpg
    DF98F898-78E4-4433-B29B-E4454E5C3E9D.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 23