Question on the Refrigerator

Hi. I have a 2018 26BRLS TT and the fridge can run on either electric or propane (button switch at top). Will the fridge run on battery while towing? The reason I ask is I had the fridge turned on when I hooked up (set to electric) and it seemed fine. I was thinking this way it would be somewhat cold when I got to our campsite. Well....When I got there, not only was it not cold, but the check light was on. I had to turn the fridge off for about 5 minutes and then turned it back on for it to run. My thought was it would draw from the battery, but while towing and the tow vehicle running, that would also charge the battery. This might be an assumption as my previous trailers have done that.

Thanks for the help

Bill

h2oskierc

If it is like the fridge in ours, and I’m guessing it is, these fridges do not run on 12 volt.

There is a button though, that will make it automatically switch over from shore power to propane.

Chris
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2021 North Trail Caliber 33 BUDS - 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab w/ 6.5' Box - Z71 5.3L 3.42 Rear End w/ Z82 Trailering Package - Tuson DirectLink Brake Controller

danemayer

Hi Bill,

A gas absorption refrigerator should run on the combination of 12V DC and propane while towing (although some people consider this a dangerous practice). You need a good propane supply and a good battery charge.

The tow vehicle may provide enough power to run the fridge even if your battery is weak. But sometimes tow vehicles don't have the fuse installed that supplies power to the trailer battery. Also, if you have a battery cutoff switch in the OFF position, the fridge won't get any power. And, there's a 12V DC manual-reset mini-circuit breaker near your battery that if tripped, will prevent battery (or tow vehicle power) from getting to the interior fuse box and refrigerator.

Some of the very new trailers may come with a 12V DC only refrigerator.

h2oskierc

Good point. I should have said they don’t run strictly on 12 volt.

I can’t imagine they draw a ton of power when on propane?

Chris

2021 North Trail Caliber 33 BUDS - 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab w/ 6.5' Box - Z71 5.3L 3.42 Rear End w/ Z82 Trailering Package - Tuson DirectLink Brake Controller

h2oskierc

Some of the very new trailers may come with a 12V DC only refrigerator.

We actually called the North Trail rep while at the dealer to see if we could order ours with that option (you gain a TON of fridge space) and for the 2021s they haven’t added it. We decided we wanted the North Trail/heartland construction and that was worth sacrificing the fridge.

Chris