Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Not cooling very well.

  1. Print this Post   #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA - OK
    Posts
    249

    Not cooling very well.

    So I've read a ton of posts on here and was going to see if anyone had anymore suggestions on AC cooling seeing as I'm desperate at this point and we're not even in 110 degree heat yet! We have two rooftop AC's that just constantly run during the day and they only cool the camper 10 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. Our old Mallard M33 bumper pull which was only 5' smaller (37 ft compared to 42 ft) did an outstanding cooling job but this one not even close. I've purchased a portable AC and am soon to purchase a 2nd portable AC and believe it or not the portable AC is 10 times colder than either of the rooftop AC's... I have checked what I can on the ductwork it seems to be attached and sealed, I clean my filters, I'm running 4 big fans to circulate the air, I've tried that homemade shield that helps to redirect the AC through the ductwork and tired other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. I feel like they left out a ton of insulation in the walls because they are hot to the touch unlike our former Mallard. I'm currently at a loss...

    Are the AC's under any type of warranty to get them checked out? What about getting insulation within the walls checked out?

    It's almost to the point its cooler to be outside than inside this dogon thing... I love this layout but these AC's are really starting to make me miss my old Mallard M33...

    The bottom two temperatures are the outside and inside temperature. Ignore the date it's wrong and I've never bothered to set it, that's a picture from today about an hr ago.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Greg & Nikki
    Full timers since 2016, former camp hosts and both military veterans
    2020 Big Horn Traveler 39MB (Current)
    2018 Mallard M33 (gone)
    2004 Palomino Thoroughbred 25FBSL (gone)
    1976 Wilderness (gone)
    2019 Ram 3500 Lonestar crew cab, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin Transmission, 8 foot box, 4X4, DRW
    HOC# 5734

  2. Print this Post   #2
    Moderator danemayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA - CO
    Posts
    19,626

    Re: Not cooling very well.

    First, there's the temperature of the air coming out of the A/C vents. Second, there's the amount of cold air coming out the vents. Third, there's the heat load from the sun on windows, walls, ceiling. At times, I can measure air coming out of living room vents at 55 (F). But the airflow is limited and the direct sun is heating the side of the trailer close to 100 (F).

    If you have cold air coming out of the vent it sounds like maybe your A/C unit is working and you've done what you can on temp and airflow. You need to work on reducing the heat load.

    Some people close off their windows with curtains, or reflective material. That makes it too dark inside for us. We have snap-on outside screening. But that only helps a bit and it does make the interior a little darker.

    If I spent more time in hot climates, I would go for window awnings to completely block the sun before it hits the windows.


    Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

    2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS


    Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

    Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

  3. Print this Post   #3
    Senior Member Flick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    238

    Re: Not cooling very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by GK2018 View Post
    So I've read a ton of posts on here and was going to see if anyone had anymore suggestions on AC cooling seeing as I'm desperate at this point and we're not even in 110 degree heat yet! We have two rooftop AC's that just constantly run during the day and they only cool the camper 10 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. Our old Mallard M33 bumper pull which was only 5' smaller (37 ft compared to 42 ft) did an outstanding cooling job but this one not even close. I've purchased a portable AC and am soon to purchase a 2nd portable AC and believe it or not the portable AC is 10 times colder than either of the rooftop AC's... I have checked what I can on the ductwork it seems to be attached and sealed, I clean my filters, I'm running 4 big fans to circulate the air, I've tried that homemade shield that helps to redirect the AC through the ductwork and tired other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. I feel like they left out a ton of insulation in the walls because they are hot to the touch unlike our former Mallard. I'm currently at a loss...

    Are the AC's under any type of warranty to get them checked out? What about getting insulation within the walls checked out?

    It's almost to the point its cooler to be outside than inside this dogon thing... I love this layout but these AC's are really starting to make me miss my old Mallard M33...

    The bottom two temperatures are the outside and inside temperature. Ignore the date it's wrong and I've never bothered to set it, that's a picture from today about an hr ago.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    To everyone who, in the future is contemplating buying an rv, if it’s over, let’s say 40’, you should seriously consider 3 ac units if you have the choice.
    With that being said, if you have 2 ac units, they must be functioning at the top of their game. Do temp checks on the discharge air and be sure they both are cranking out temps in the 50’s and if one is not, have it checked. Even almost new units can have problems.
    You can use fans to circulate the room air, but all you’re doing is getting a wind chill. Warm air circulated is still warm.
    If your rv cools down at night, run the ac’s wide open and get room temps colder when you can.
    Like Dan said, the wall temps can climb to 100 degrees. It’s like trying to cool down an oven.
    If you haven’t, it might be worth your time and effort to have someone check your ac units. They should be doing a better job than what your experiencing.
    Eddie and Jomaye
    HOC #7088

    2015 Heartland Cyclone 4100 HD
    -4 U Cam observation camera
    -Winegard Pathway X2
    -On The Go Double Standard softener
    -Splendide washer/dryer combo
    -TireMinder bluetooth TPMS
    -RV Smart 50 amp surge protector

    2019 Ford F-350 DRW FX4 Lariat
    -Ultimate Lariat package
    -4:10 LS gears
    -2” front lift/Bilstein shocks
    -Air Lift 5000 Ultimate air bags
    -Air Lift Gen 2 Bluetooth wireless compressor
    -20k Reese fifth wheel and rail adapter
    -35” TOYO Open Country M/T tires on stock 17” rims
    -RDS 60 gal tool box combo w/gauge
    -RV Toll Pass

  4. Print this Post   #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA - OK
    Posts
    249

    Re: Not cooling very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by danemayer View Post
    First, there's the temperature of the air coming out of the A/C vents. Second, there's the amount of cold air coming out the vents. Third, there's the heat load from the sun on windows, walls, ceiling. At times, I can measure air coming out of living room vents at 55 (F). But the airflow is limited and the direct sun is heating the side of the trailer close to 100 (F).

    If you have cold air coming out of the vent it sounds like maybe your A/C unit is working and you've done what you can on temp and airflow. You need to work on reducing the heat load.

    Some people close off their windows with curtains, or reflective material. That makes it too dark inside for us. We have snap-on outside screening. But that only helps a bit and it does make the interior a little darker.

    If I spent more time in hot climates, I would go for window awnings to completely block the sun before it hits the windows.
    Our airflow seems partially low in our spare bedroom and that seems to be a common theme with the mid bunks. We do have window tent, black out shades and heavy black out curtains on all of the windows. Measuring our AC temps coming out of both AC's it is outputting a temperature of 64 degrees the portable unit I purchased puts out a temperature of 46 degrees. We dont have any window awnings but that might be something I look into. I've tried to factor in the amount of sun heat (not mathematically but in comparison to our Mallard M33) and they are both drastically different in cooling capabilities which for a higher end 5th wheel seems to be odd. We noticed it wasn't heating as well either this winter but it wasn't necessarily cold enough for me to make a verified determination/comparison to our Mallard which is what began to lead me towards improper insulation plus the walls feeling remarkably hotter. I have also insulated parts of the underbelly for the spare bedroom (theres a post showing the added insulation) which did help quite a bit and I've even went as far as plasti dipping two windows that dont open just to help further insulate. I appreciate the tips and I'm going to look into those window awnings.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Greg & Nikki
    Full timers since 2016, former camp hosts and both military veterans
    2020 Big Horn Traveler 39MB (Current)
    2018 Mallard M33 (gone)
    2004 Palomino Thoroughbred 25FBSL (gone)
    1976 Wilderness (gone)
    2019 Ram 3500 Lonestar crew cab, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin Transmission, 8 foot box, 4X4, DRW
    HOC# 5734

  5. Print this Post   #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA - OK
    Posts
    249

    Re: Not cooling very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flick View Post
    To everyone who, in the future is contemplating buying an rv, if it’s over, let’s say 40’, you should seriously consider 3 ac units if you have the choice.
    With that being said, if you have 2 ac units, they must be functioning at the top of their game. Do temp checks on the discharge air and be sure they both are cranking out temps in the 50’s and if one is not, have it checked. Even almost new units can have problems.
    You can use fans to circulate the room air, but all you’re doing is getting a wind chill. Warm air circulated is still warm.
    If your rv cools down at night, run the ac’s wide open and get room temps colder when you can.
    Like Dan said, the wall temps can climb to 100 degrees. It’s like trying to cool down an oven.
    If you haven’t, it might be worth your time and effort to have someone check your ac units. They should be doing a better job than what your experiencing.
    Unfortunately we didn't have a choice of 3 AC units or I would've jumped on that even before now more is usually better but I wouldn't have figured a 5 ft increase in size would've made such a difference in cooling capacity and I'm wondering if heating will be the same way...

    The AC output temperature is 64 degrees which is nowhere close to the 50 you referenced so I will get those checked out and hope it's under some type of warranty.

    We don't shut off the AC units 24/7 they run all night and day (I'm sure probably isn't good for them, although there has been a couple times I open the windows just so I can give them a rest) and even during the night they just run even if I turn them up from our usual 65 degrees to 75 degrees because the RV never cools down.

    I definitely appreciate letting me know about the 50 degree temp output versus our 64 degree output that's quite a difference...

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Greg & Nikki
    Full timers since 2016, former camp hosts and both military veterans
    2020 Big Horn Traveler 39MB (Current)
    2018 Mallard M33 (gone)
    2004 Palomino Thoroughbred 25FBSL (gone)
    1976 Wilderness (gone)
    2019 Ram 3500 Lonestar crew cab, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin Transmission, 8 foot box, 4X4, DRW
    HOC# 5734

  6. Print this Post   #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA - OK
    Posts
    249

    Re: Not cooling very well.

    This is 6 hours after the first picture I took, its dropped 2 degrees inside.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Greg & Nikki
    Full timers since 2016, former camp hosts and both military veterans
    2020 Big Horn Traveler 39MB (Current)
    2018 Mallard M33 (gone)
    2004 Palomino Thoroughbred 25FBSL (gone)
    1976 Wilderness (gone)
    2019 Ram 3500 Lonestar crew cab, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin Transmission, 8 foot box, 4X4, DRW
    HOC# 5734

  7. Print this Post   #7
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA - TX
    Posts
    8,635

    Not cooling very well.

    Greg,

    I feel your pain, it seems we’ve been “fighting” the heat ever since we bought our Big Country. Most of the heat seems to be coming through the windows.

    We tried adding a high quality ceramic window tint, but that didn’t seem to help significantly. We have made our own screens using Solar Screen material cut to size and velcroed to the outside of the windows, for the large windows. That does help the heat transfer quite a bit.

    We just had the roof redone with FlexArmor, and that also has helped a little. The best part was they removed the ACs and made sure the plenum was sealed properly before reinstalling them. They seem to put out a little more air and are quieter.

    Other mods we have made: 1. Our system claimed to share ductwork, so you could run the bedroom ac to cool the living room and vice versa. Unfortunately it seemed we got very little airflow out the vents. We closed off the duct run in the ceilings to divide the systems into two and this seems to have helped, and closed off the duct run at the very last vents, rather than have the duct continue past the last vent to the rear wall or front of the rv.
    2. We replaced all our ceiling vents with ones with “more airflow”. I can’t remember the brand offhand but can look it up if you’re interested. This seemed to help a little, too. You might consider removing the angled vent covers and see if you get more airflow without them.
    3. We use a Vornado tower fan to circulate the air. It does a very good job of helping cool the space by circulating the air throughout the room.
    4. We applied Dicor CoolCoat to the slide roofs. Again, it may have helped a little. Hard to say since temps are still in the mid to low 90s. Our rig stays comfortable so far.
    5. I know you’ve probably read this already, but avoid heat-creating chores during the heat of the day, like cooking or washing/drying clothes, or going in/out the door a lot. Use your awning to help block sun if you can.
    6. Keep your return air foam filters clean. I can always tell a difference after they’ve been cleaned.

    Using a temp gun aimed at the AC vents, we usually read between 55-65.

    Good luck!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733


  8. Print this Post   #8
    Senior Member wdk450's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA - CA
    Posts
    5,616

    Re: Not cooling very well.

    If you have a 2020 rig, it is worth a phone call to Heartland Service to see if it can at least be checked for warranty service. There is like a 3 year warranty on the air conditioners, but I don't know about a warranty on the quality of the installation or ductwork - ASK!

    Call around and see if you can find any good specialists on RV air conditioning in your area. Ask any fellow RVers or Heartlanders that you know.

    Dometic's phone number is: (800) 544-4881
    Bill Knight KJ6TBE
    Retired 40 Year Hospital Biomedical Electronics Technician
    Former State Chairman (2000) California Medical Instrumentation Association (CMIA)
    2008 Bighorn 3670RL
    My Bighorn Upgrades
    See:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing


    2004 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins 5.9
    B-D Exhaust Brake
    Ride Rite Air Bags
    Valvoline 15-40 High Mileage Diesel Oil
    XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

    At a Thousand Trails in Southern California

    21 Heartland Rallies I Have Attended
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PRxlhCp1l7IXgiVIBJmCtX3viJ9NaykR8_b81W9CVU/edit?usp=sharing

    Thousand Trails Elite Membership

    Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!
    Remember The USS Liberty . . . Read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html
    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth"

  9. Print this Post   #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA - OK
    Posts
    249

    Re: Not cooling very well.

    So thinking about when I mentioned the insulation, maybe I'm wrong on it needing that...? When I cut the dryer vent I noticed it had styrofoam insulation glued to the paneling, I would like to imagine the rest of the coach would be done the same way? Checking something like that might also be near impossible without messing up the paneling and or any styrofoam insulation that I would like to assume is there. The reason I learned towards the insulation lacking is due to the heat and AC systems both being separate in ductwork and functionality yet still both seeming to have issues heating and cooling and also that the interior walls feel much hotter than any camper we've had in the past to include the 79 Wilderness I rebuilt (using rigid foam insulation) therefore leading me to guess that the common denominator would be insulation. But now rethinking this maybe it isn't?

    After reading an AC manual I think the AC's are putting out the proper temperature, even though it was 64 degrees coming out of the AC, it was still within the 20 degree cooling margin since the coach was 82 degrees inside. The issue though is 6 hours later the inside temperature only dropped 2 degrees whereas the outside temperature had dropped 6 degrees but once again the AC was putting out it's 20 degree margin on cooling capability.

    I had been waiting to post asking for help until I felt I had exhausted enough research on various forums and tried several different things and unfortunately none of them have seemed to work yet.

    I do really like Danes idea about the window awnings and potentially a 3rd AC if that's a feasible option for this coach and if so between those two it might fix this issue. I'll have to do some research on the 3rd rooftop AC unless someone has that answer readily available.

    I'm currently still in the reevaluation phase on what to do here and have even bought two recliners so I can remove the couch and will have enough room to put in another AC but I'm beginning to second guess this decision as I really feel there is a better option out there that I'm not seeing.

    I've debated a mini split AC and was wondering has anybody ever mounted the exterior portion to the roof instead of the bumper? Would there be too much weight for that to work on the roof? Pros/cons on anything about those systems?

    I definitely appreciate all the advice and help, I'm pretty handy but at the same time I usually know just enough to get myself in trouble haha.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Greg & Nikki
    Full timers since 2016, former camp hosts and both military veterans
    2020 Big Horn Traveler 39MB (Current)
    2018 Mallard M33 (gone)
    2004 Palomino Thoroughbred 25FBSL (gone)
    1976 Wilderness (gone)
    2019 Ram 3500 Lonestar crew cab, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin Transmission, 8 foot box, 4X4, DRW
    HOC# 5734

  10. Print this Post   #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA - OK
    Posts
    249

    Re: Not cooling very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by TravelTiger View Post
    Greg,

    I feel your pain, it seems we’ve been “fighting” the heat ever since we bought our Big Country. Most of the heat seems to be coming through the windows.

    We tried adding a high quality ceramic window tint, but that didn’t seem to help significantly. We have made our own screens using Solar Screen material cut to size and velcroed to the outside of the windows, for the large windows. That does help the heat transfer quite a bit.

    We just had the roof redone with FlexArmor, and that also has helped a little. The best part was they removed the ACs and made sure the plenum was sealed properly before reinstalling them. They seem to put out a little more air and are quieter.

    Other mods we have made: 1. Our system claimed to share ductwork, so you could run the bedroom ac to cool the living room and vice versa. Unfortunately it seemed we got very little airflow out the vents. We closed off the duct run in the ceilings to divide the systems into two and this seems to have helped, and closed off the duct run at the very last vents, rather than have the duct continue past the last vent to the rear wall or front of the rv.
    2. We replaced all our ceiling vents with ones with “more airflow”. I can’t remember the brand offhand but can look it up if you’re interested. This seemed to help a little, too. You might consider removing the angled vent covers and see if you get more airflow without them.
    3. We use a Vornado tower fan to circulate the air. It does a very good job of helping cool the space by circulating the air throughout the room.
    4. We applied Dicor CoolCoat to the slide roofs. Again, it may have helped a little. Hard to say since temps are still in the mid to low 90s. Our rig stays comfortable so far.
    5. I know you’ve probably read this already, but avoid heat-creating chores during the heat of the day, like cooking or washing/drying clothes, or going in/out the door a lot. Use your awning to help block sun if you can.
    6. Keep your return air foam filters clean. I can always tell a difference after they’ve been cleaned.

    Using a temp gun aimed at the AC vents, we usually read between 55-65.

    Good luck!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven't tried idea number one you mentioned I'll have to do that and see if it helps. The airflow does in some parts seem to lack more so than in other areas mainly the spare bedroom, I thought about getting one of those duct fans that suck the air through the ductwork and force it back out the vent (can't remember what they call them off hand).

    How did you close off and separate those ducts between the two AC's?

    I remember you mentioning you did the dicor coolcoat and I've read mixed reviews on it so I wasn't sure that one would work or not so I'd be curious when it heats up what your thoughts on it are.

    I really appreciate all the advice and help, I definitely need it!

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Greg & Nikki
    Full timers since 2016, former camp hosts and both military veterans
    2020 Big Horn Traveler 39MB (Current)
    2018 Mallard M33 (gone)
    2004 Palomino Thoroughbred 25FBSL (gone)
    1976 Wilderness (gone)
    2019 Ram 3500 Lonestar crew cab, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin Transmission, 8 foot box, 4X4, DRW
    HOC# 5734

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cooling our RW
    By Brenn in forum Air Conditioning / Heat Pump
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2019, 12:42 PM
  2. Fridge not cooling
    By DruidZ in forum Gas Absorption Refrigerators (2-way & 3-way)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-08-2018, 10:39 PM
  3. fyi on cooling rv
    By Kathi-27 in forum Air Conditioning / Heat Pump
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 11:26 PM
  4. AC Not Cooling
    By Tbower in forum Air Conditioning / Heat Pump
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 09:21 AM
  5. Max cooling for a hot RV?
    By TxCowboy in forum Air Conditioning / Heat Pump
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 07:09 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •