Single AC on 15 Amp?

h2oskierc

I tried to search the forums, but I must not know how to use the search...

Is it possible to run a modern day Dometic AC unit on 15 amp service, or should I not even try it?

Dahillbilly

I tried & it did not work tripped the breaker, it depends on several things like how far a run, number of connections etc. My unit was puling 18 amps & it tripped.
Try yours and see if it will work, if the refig or hot water kicks in that will cause it to trip also.

good luck

danemayer

It may run if the refrigerator and water heater are running on propane/12V DC.

The wild card is the Power Converter. It probably uses 1-2 amps most of the time, but occasionally may draw much more. If both the Power Converter and the A/C compressor demand maximum power at the same time, you'll trip a breaker where the trailer is plugged in.

Don't use too long an extension cord as that will lead to a voltage drop and an amperage increase.

h2oskierc

Thanks guys. I’ll leave the fridge and water heater on propane. We’ve got a hot streak this weekend, and going to the in laws cabin. Worse I will do is blow the father in law’s fuse I guess.

Chris
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2021 North Trail Caliber 33 BUDS - 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab w/ 6.5' Box - Z71 5.3L 3.42 Rear End w/ Z82 Trailering Package - Tuson DirectLink Brake Controller

Flick

Thanks guys. I’ll leave the fridge and water heater on propane. We’ve got a hot streak this weekend, and going to the in laws cabin. Worse I will do is blow the father in law’s fuse I guess.

Chris

2021 North Trail Caliber 33 BUDS - 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab w/ 6.5' Box - Z71 5.3L 3.42 Rear End w/ Z82 Trailering Package - Tuson DirectLink Brake Controller

Couple of points to add to the discussion. Your cord should be a 20amp #12 wire and try to keep the length to 50’. If you go a longer distance like using a 100’ cord, you should step up to a #10 which is rated for 30amps. You lose one size generation for each 100’ of run. This includes wall wiring the total distance to the source.
With this in mind, if you plug into a good 20amp plug that is very close to the breakers, you will be ok.
Also, like in my case, much better to blow the father in-law’s fuse than the mother in-law’s.

h2oskierc

Couple of points to add to the discussion. Your cord should be a 20amp #12 wire and try to keep the length to 50’. If you go a longer distance like using a 100’ cord, you should step up to a #10 which is rated for 30amps. You lose one size generation for each 100’ of run. This includes wall wiring the total distance to the source.
With this in mind, if you plug into a good 20amp plug that is very close to the breakers, you will be ok.
Also, like in my case, much better to blow the father in-law’s fuse than the mother in-law’s.

Hahahahaha! Very true...

I intend to plug in using the 50amp cord that came with my trailer, and then my Progressive Surge Protector, then the 50-15 amp dog bone I have. My trailer came with a huge cord, maybe 50’? Should I bet getting a shorter one? They are spendy, so I had figured I would just be cheap and stick with the “factory” cord.

Chris

Flick

Hahahahaha! Very true...

I intend to plug in using the 50amp cord that came with my trailer, and then my Progressive Surge Protector, then the 50-15 amp dog bone I have. My trailer came with a huge cord, maybe 50’? Should I bet getting a shorter one? They are spendy, so I had figured I would just be cheap and stick with the “factory” cord.

Chris

If you are using your 50 amp cord with a dog bone, you shouldn’t have any problem at all. Just try to plug in close to the source.

h2oskierc

If you are using your 50 amp cord with a dog bone, you shouldn’t have any problem at all. Just try to plug in close to the source.

Awesome. Thanks a ton!

Love all the help I’ve found here. This is probably one of the best/most functional forums I have seen or been a part of.

Chris

I tried to search the forums, but I must not know how to use the search...

Is it possible to run a modern day Dometic AC unit on 15 amp service, or should I not even try it?

Mine did not work consistently with 50ft cord, would for a few starts then would pop the AC circuit breaker, and repeat. Adding the Micro-Aire Easy Start made it much better, reliably works on the 15A circuit 50ft cord for prepping the TT at my house.