Gravity Fed Gasoline Tank

HD2017

Greetings all. Apologies if this is in the wrong area, but not finding it any where else. I've got a RAM 2500 6.4. Love the truck, but only have about 200 mile range when pulling. looking for a gravity fed system, but everything seems to be rated for diesel. I've tried to find the difference, but no luck so far. Apparently its a DOT thing. Anybody got any answers?? Thanks in advance .

h2oskierc

We used to have something called a “Gas Dock” we used to fill up the ski boat as a kid. I wonder if those are still made. Check out Overtons.com perhaps?

Chris
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2021 North Trail Caliber 33 BUDS - 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab w/ 6.5' Box - Z71 5.3L 3.42 Rear End w/ Z82 Trailering Package - Tuson DirectLink Brake Controller

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
You can't gravity feed Gas only Diesel. I think Transfer Flow makes a tank that will pump the gas in making it legal.

h2oskierc

You can't gravity feed Gas only Diesel. I think Transfer Flow makes a tank that will pump the gas in making it legal.

Then why can they sell a gravity feed tank for boats?

Chris

2021 North Trail Caliber 33 BUDS - 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab w/ 6.5' Box - Z71 5.3L 3.42 Rear End w/ Z82 Trailering Package - Tuson DirectLink Brake Controller

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
Then why can they sell a gravity feed tank for boats?

As far as I know you can use gravity feed for anything as long is it is not mounted in the vehicle always feeding. Any tank that is portable that you use as a gas can is fine. I'm no expert but I did try to mount a tank in the bed of my truck to gravity feed gas and no one would install it because of the danger.

h2oskierc

Oh, so the one I posted that isn’t permanently mounted would probably be OK? OP would have to manually fill the truck?

Chris

Flick

Oh, so the one I posted that isn’t permanently mounted would probably be OK? OP would have to manually fill the truck?

Chris

50 states, you could have 50 different set of regulations for carrying fuel other than diesel. Probably an exaggeration, but you get my point. Even some states have diesel restrictions. Some let you hook direct. Some don’t.
That’s one of the downsides to having a gas truck. We used to pump from an auxiliary tank in our 1985 crew-cab, but man was it dangerous.
I’m just offering thoughts, but I think you’re ok to carry cans of gas you can either pump or pour in. Be safe.

NYSUPstater

Even if I could, I wouldn't want a live gravity fed gas system. Reason being: SAFETY in the event of an accident. Just imagine if you will that you are involved in a wreck, engine may have been disabled during the crash, but gas is still being released from tank. Should it land on a hot surface, well get out the marshmallows. As I'm sure you are well aware that gas has a much lower flashpoint than diesel, so igniting it won't be a problem. Not saying diesel won't ignite either, but will take a higher temp to get it to.

shawnmuir

I use a Titan Tank. It’s fantastic. It has a pump and automatically feeds with a push of a button dumps 5 Gal of fuel into my main tank. It’s puncture proof and low enough for my tonneau cover to close. It’s 40 Gal and extends my trip by aprox 400 miles. Hope this helps. We are in Canada so we are not allowed gravity fed fuel tanks. I have a 2017 Ram 3500 and it’s great. A little pricy but worth the money. Not sure if these are rated for gas as I run diesel but check the web site. This is a really safe option as well. Hope this helps
2a50e3268c6248f5097f40f94052882e.jpg

39a3f2c0a9dc2a7fa5974fd0ba9c4abe.jpg