Residential Refrigerator cool while pulling

Hello! I live full-time in a 2017 Bighorn. How can I get power to my residential refrigerator while pulling? Thanks in advance!

danemayer

Hi Lynnierich,

If both battery cutoff switches in the front compartment are turned ON, and you turn the inverter ON, the refrigerator should get power from your batteries. If your tow vehicle is sending power through the umbilical, that should help keep the batteries charged while towing.

Take a look at our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide for more information and troubleshooting.

NYSUPstater

if unable to do what Dan said, freeze some gallon jugs of water at home before leaving, then stick them in fridge/freezer in the RV.

jmarnell

Our rig has a remote switch for the inverter located inside. A picture of ours is below. Makes it easy to see if the power inverter is turned on. If the light is green, there is power going to the residential refrigerator. We have no problem keeping ours running while towing.
20171105_131528.jpg

Piperflyer

Our rig has a remote switch for the inverter located inside. A picture of ours is below. Makes it easy to see if the power inverter is turned on. If the light is green, there is power going to the residential refrigerator. We have no problem keeping ours running while towing.
View attachment 64353

Just to add a point. If this switch doesn't light up you need to make sure it is connected to the inverter by a wire coming from the switch to the inverter.

LBR

View attachment 64353
That light can be on, but if the inverter gfi has kicked out, the refrigerator still won't have power. The inverter gfi needs to be reset to restore power.

wdk450

A few years ago when the residential type refrigerators started being used with (unreliable) inverters, several owners (including Jim B.) came up with a pilot light for the inverter mounted on the driver's side outside front of the trailer, visible from the driver's mirror. Many refrigerated semi trucks have such a pilot light to tell them that their refrigeration is working.

Maybe someone could find those threads again.

Also, some people (like me) monitor their refrigerator/freezer temperatures with WIRELESS refrigerator temperature monitors (available on E-Bay). Some of these people have been successful in moving the temperature readouts to the truck cab while towing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Wireles...498050?hash=item52351e5302:g:h-IAAOSw8PVeMWBY