Winterizing ice maker on our new Samsung RF18

Garypowell

Linda has finally given her approval to remove the old gasser and put in a residential Samsung RF18 3 door unit. It will arrive on the 17th and I already have the lower drawer out and am looking to get the water line in ahead of time. A few days before the new unit arrives I'll be taking out the Norcold and simply setting it on the porch to use until we get the new one in. I need a little time to get the shelf the unit sits on removed.

But looking into this fall when we close up in NC.....can someone tell me, especially if you have this model of unit (with the ice maker in the freezer below) how to you winterize the ice maker?

I currently suck antifreeze into the RV for everything else.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

danemayer

Gary,

Our Residential Refrigerator user guide covers the steps to winterize. It's based on a Frigidaire but the basic procedure is the same from one refrigerator to the next. It recommends compressed air rather than antifreeze.

The guide also includes an overview and block diagram of the way the inverter and transfer switch are used to keep the fridge running when towing or otherwise not on shore power.

Garypowell

Dan,

I had read the guide but without the frig in place yet I had some difficulty understanding it. For one thing the picture looks like it is an ice maker from a side by side unit and mine has the ice maker in the lower freezer drawer. Not sure if there is a "door that can be popped off" or not. If there is it seems like a cheater cord will be my method....much quicker than going through cycles. That is IF I can see the solenoid.

Even though we are stationary now I still have my ViAir compressor....I'll probably have to get some kind of tank or a bleed valve to keep the pressure down. I am going to hook up the water line to is can still be reached and will do the frig winterization manually and keep with the anti-freeze for the rest of the unit. With both a washer/Dryer and a Dishwasher.....I think antifreeze will be easier.

Just trying to think ahead and still hope someone with practical experience chimes in.

Thanks

Gary

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We have the Samsung. The test button cycles the ice maker. I cycle it three times with the compressed air on. After cycling, I close the valve for the fridge water line, then winterize the rest of the RV with compressed air and antifreeze. No antifreeze gets into the fridge/freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

I wouldn't worry about getting the last few drops out of the ice maker. When ya think about it's there to make ice. Yes blow out the lines but as for the ice maker itself.

asherwin

I have the same fridge. When I have winterized I first run antifreeze throughout all the other lines with water feed valve to ice maker closed. I then open the valve and let the antifreeze work it's way to the ice maker. Usually after three or four cycles I get pink ice. I disconnect antifreeze and put the 5th wheel to bed. In the spring I flush all lines then let the ice maker do its thing until I get clear ice. Again usually 4 or 5 cycles. When done there is nor antifreeze smell or taste. Have had no issues.