Dually Tire Replacement

BarbandFrank

We were in an accident today and the driver of the other vehicle hit us directly in the rear tire of our Ram dually. The tire and wheel are damaged and need to be replaced. We will have the axel inspected too.

My question is ...

All four rear tires are just under two years old. In order to safely tow our Landmark, can we replace just the damaged tire, or, should we replace both tires?

Thanks.
Frank

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can absolutely change just the 1 tire BUT if the tread depths are different the older tire may ware faster and kinda funny. It's best to replace them in pairs.
You'll definitely want to spin the tire on a balancing machine to see if the rim is bent in any way and out of balance.
I'd ask them to spin the wheel only to get a good look at it.

More then likely your axle will be pushed out of wack also.

My 2 cents
Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RickL

Jerrod is correct, you always just replace one but depending on the wear of the old tire compared to a new would change my opinion. If the difference is 5/32nds or more I’d be looking at replacing the mate for sure, if not all of them.

If the difference is just a 2/32nds or so I’d place the new tire in the inner wheel position that way it’ll wear down quicker the mate the mate.

I would also recommend having a 4 wheel thrust angle alignment done. Any issues in the rear should show up. Make sure to ask for both initial and finally read outs.

carl.swoyer

We were in an accident today and the driver of the other vehicle hit us directly in the rear tire of our Ram dually. The tire and wheel are damaged and need to be replaced. We will have the axel inspected too.

My question is ...

All four rear tires are just under two years old. In order to safely tow our Landmark, can we replace just the damaged tire, or, should we replace both tires?

Thanks.
Frank
Buy one new tire and if your spare isn't old rotate the spare into the rear and then one of the 2 year old tires to the spare location.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Flick

Buy one new tire and if your spare isn't old rotate the spare into the rear and then one of the 2 year old tires to the spare location.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Or remount your 2 front tires to the rear, put the other dually tire on the front along with the one new tire.