How too hookup a generator to 3070RE

shawnmuir

I have a Auto Start Switch in my panel for a Onan Gen Set but if I buy a different hen set how do I hook up a different generator to my rig? I don’t do a lot of boon docking but want to do a week here and there. Not a lot of experience with generators and if anyone can give me a suggestion what would be a good starter gen set that would be great. Thanks

6.7LMegaCab

Rather than getting a generator, perhaps look at going solar instead. If your RV has a spot for an Onan, use that space for a battery bank instead. I've been researching and it seems I could ditch my generator and save weight by putting batteries in its place along with solar. I've already got 4 batteries and it seems I could get 4-6 more and be really set for solar only and never worry about a lack of power. The only reason I'd need fuel is to keep the dirt toys filled.

Alternative solution is to get a couple of those quiet Honda generators that can be paired together, depending on how many watts you really need.

But to answer your question, if you have a legitimate autostart for Cummins/Onan it may only work with the Onan generator.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

I'm going suggest put the Onan generator in.
The average group 31 AGM battery weighs about 69 lbs.
The weight of a 5500lp Onan is 288 lb.
In my case ,
288 lb for the Onan
4 group 31 AGM batteries 276 lb.
My Magnum Ms 2812 weight is 55lbs.
I use one 220 watt solar panel and a morning star dou 25 amp charge controller. I'm never without power especially when the sky is all cloudy.
The Magnum has a 125 amp charger so without solar I run the Onan for a few minutes to keep the batteries going.
There's other setups but this one has worked flawless for years.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk