Roof material ripped off driving down the highway

Lscott88

We have a 2018 Heartland Trail Runner 34SLE. Coming home this weekend the rubber roofing material blew off all the way back to the air conditioner and even ripped off the antenna! Has anyone ever heard of this?? I tried calling the dealer about this and the other issues we have had after only three years with the camper (had to replace tires, window seals all shrunk, leak in the front; heater was broke and had to replace the circuit board, leaf spring cracked and had to be replaced, now have a window leak) but they said that there is nothing they can do because it is out of warranty and have to call Heartland. I just can’t comprehend why the roof would blow off after only three years, we even sealed everything this spring! The dealer said it would be $6-8k to repair I was just so floored.

wdk450

There have been reports over the years of the rubber roof material not being glued down properly, forming a huge bubble on the roof, and sometimes coming off.

I would call Dicor (rubber roof supplier), and Heartland Service (with your VIN ready) . Have pictures ready to e-mail. Dicor Products2965 LaVanture Pl. Elkhart, IN 46514 Toll Free: 800.837.2059 I am thinking Dicor's warranty is something like 3-5 years.
Heartland RV;s Service: 877-262-8032. Heartland has been known on occasion to fix things under a courtesy "extended warranty".

Officially, you are supposed to go up on the roof and inspect the roof and all caulk sealing EVERY 90 DAYS to keep the warranty in force.

Good Luck!!!

If you HAVE to replace the roof, check my post #5 on this thread and the links to other threads there: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/78229-Roof-reseal?

danemayer

Hi LScott88,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Having the rubber roof completely detach and blow back from the underlying wood is a new one on me. I can think of 2 possible explanations: 1) That is was not glued down properly in the first place. If so, it's probably been pulling up more and more every time you towed the rig and it finally completely separated. 2) If there was water intrusion, the water would have weakened the glue, allowing the membrane to separate.

Even though long out of warranty, if it's the former cause, there's a chance Heartland might grant a goodwill accommodation and fix the roof for you - perhaps at the Retail Service Center in Elkhart, IN. If they think it's due to water intrusion, they'll probably point to the maintenance schedule in your trailer manual and leave it to you to get it fixed.

On Monday, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Calmly explain the roof situation and ask them for their opinion on what may have caused it. Let them do most of the talking. Ask for suggestions on how to fix it. The last part of the discussion you can ask if perhaps Heartland would help with the repair.

The prior history of various parts failures is a distraction to your main conversation. I'd recommend you leave that out of the discussion.

sengli

Last fall I was on I69 here in fort Wayne, and saw a SOB (couger) fifth wheel going down the road heading south for the winter. The entire front roof material from the cap to the first air conditioner was flapping in the breeze, as it was going down the highway at 60 MPH! It looked like the roof material wasnt glued down in that area. I am sure the owner didnt have a clue it was happening. So yes.... I have seen such a thing live and in person.

donr827

On a Hitchiker I owned, the factory did not apply the glue correctly around the front a/c which caused water to leak in slowly. Eventually the glue loosened up the front roof material causing a lot of damage. What was nice is that they admitted it was their fault and paid the $9200 to the dealer to put a new roof on. Hitchiker was family owned and made quality trailers. They were forced out of business they could not compete with what the owner called the Indiana Group.

Lscott88

thanks, this advice is helpful!

Hi LScott88,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Having the rubber roof completely detach and blow back from the underlying wood is a new one on me. I can think of 2 possible explanations: 1) That is was not glued down properly in the first place. If so, it's probably been pulling up more and more every time you towed the rig and it finally completely separated. 2) If there was water intrusion, the water would have weakened the glue, allowing the membrane to separate.

Even though long out of warranty, if it's the former cause, there's a chance Heartland might grant a goodwill accommodation and fix the roof for you - perhaps at the Retail Service Center in Elkhart, IN. If they think it's due to water intrusion, they'll probably point to the maintenance schedule in your trailer manual and leave it to you to get it fixed.

On Monday, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Calmly explain the roof situation and ask them for their opinion on what may have caused it. Let them do most of the talking. Ask for suggestions on how to fix it. The last part of the discussion you can ask if perhaps Heartland would help with the repair.

The prior history of various parts failures is a distraction to your main conversation. I'd recommend you leave that out of the discussion.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I’ve seen this happen on various RVs as we’ve traveled. Not sure the cause, but I can recommend FlexArmor Spray on roof, you’ll never have to worry about the rubber again!
b8fa58862fd6cb750ee2a7520ee93ea0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyandGenee

More than 30% of the Heartland Terry Classics (only 750 made2017-2019) have had this issue. Any where from first trip out to a few months into ownership.

Ours tore off and was repaired twice by dealer before we were “out of warranty “ then we had to fix it ourselves.

My opinion is the rubber roofs were a bad idea. I continue to patch rips from tree limbs. It doesn’t take much.

What’s a shame is Heartland won’t stand behind the issue, but if you get an aftermarket roof installed they will give you a warranty, some a lifetime warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

To the OP, very curious what you find. Literally same thing happened to me today going KC to Branson. 2018 Trail Runner 22 sle. Pretty far from home and not sure how I will get back, plus supposed to leave for a week in CO in exactly two weeks.

Any know where to find my VIN?

VIN should be stamped into the metal near the hitch, on an external sticker on the front Off Door Side of the RV, on a sticker inside a kitchen cabinet, on your registration and title documents.

Could you tie the loose membrane down with either strong duct tape (Gorilla) or get a staple gun, and fix the staple holes in the roof repair?