2013 Big Country 3650RL front AC shut off

Edmundaz

My front bedroom Dometic AC unit (no wall thermostat) just stopped working. I checked the circuit breaker in the rig with my volt meter and I am getting 120v. I have not gone up on the roof yet. Thoughts? Capacitor? It was running cold on the max setting when it quit. Can the freez up and shut down? It had been running about 3 hours. I reset all breakers in the rig and at the box where I plug in. Thank you, Ben Edmund

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I think you would hear a loud humming noise if the capacitor was out. Sounds you’re getting no power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edmundaz

I turned it on and when I listen closely I hear a humming noise. The other ac is running so it drowns out the humming.

I think you would hear a loud humming noise if the capacitor was out. Sounds you’re getting no power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

My front bedroom Dometic AC unit (no wall thermostat) just stopped working. I checked the circuit breaker in the rig with my volt meter and I am getting 120v. I have not gone up on the roof yet. Thoughts? Capacitor? It was running cold on the max setting when it quit. Can the freez up and shut down? It had been running about 3 hours. I reset all breakers in the rig and at the box where I plug in. Thank you, Ben Edmund

It’s highly likely your capacitor, as mentioned has shut your ac unit down. It should be easy for you to replace but it will have you getting on the roof. The capacitor controls your fan and your compressor. You can do damage if you try to run them with a bad capacitor. It may be advisable to call an rv service tech to get a diagnosis and repair. Since your ac was cooling ok, it shouldn’t be anything major. Those hot Arizona temps are tough. Good luck and stay safe.

Edmundaz

Well it is definitely the capacitor. I have it removed and had it checked. Finding one has been a challenge. It isa 40/15 370volt.

Flick

Well it is definitely the capacitor. I have it removed and had it checked. Finding one has been a challenge. It isa 40/15 370volt.

Check to see if y’all have a shop that repairs electric motors or an ac parts supply house.

Edmundaz

Check to see if y’all have a shop that repairs electric motors or an ac parts supply house.

I solved the problem and have my bedroom air conditioner running again. The capacitor in the front air conditioner was a dual capacitor, it was a 40/15. I searched all over the Internet and was not able to find a 40/15 capacitor so instead i used two separate capacitors, a 40, and a 15. There was plenty of room in the capacitor box to accommodate two capacitors. I had to use a jump wire from the 40 to power the 15. I’m posting this because I am sure this is going to happen to other people. By the way the cost for the two capacitors was $38