Floor rot - confirming source of water?

Poosley

I have a NorthTrail Caliber 26LRSS that we bought new 4 years ago. While camping this weekend - first time out this year - I felt the dreaded 'squishy floor' in the front storage compartment. The floor damage extended back toward the bedroom door. The worst spot is directly below the place on the trailer where the front air dam, roof, gutter, and rail meet. I suspect this is the source of the water, but I don't see how the water got from the roof to the floor - there is no obvious place inside on the wall - and the wall feels firm. Some of the moisture has wicked up into the first inch of the wall. I've caulked the s**t out of the junction on the roof and am monitoring for any additional damage. I also took the vinyl up in the storage area plus the bedroom - see the pictures. Do you feel I'm on the correct path? I was going to let it dry and then tackle removing the damage back to good wood and replace with marine plywood. Anything else you would suggest? https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kip8bmKtjbmVaHxn8

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say you are on the right track for repair. I can say from personal experience with my daughter's trailer that you are in for a job and a half. It won't be easy but will be a satisfying experience.
The source of your leak could be that very storage compartment door. You on the inside with a flashlight and someone on the outside with a garden hose might help confirm if that is the culprit.
Good luck and take pictures along the way.

Peace
Dave

Poosley

Good suggestion with the garden hose - I will definitely do that. I've already torn apart the bedroom, so in for a penny, in for a pound......

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The door seal is a definite suspect. I had to replace all four of my cargo doors due to water/snow melt running down the sides and getting past the seal and collecting at the bottom of the door panel (within it's frame). Freeze/thaw and the bottom of the doors swelled. I added a length of gutter molding above the doors on both sides to divert the rundown away and no more water problem.

I also found that the door panels have small holes on the bottom edges which wick water into them with temperature cycling. Sealed the replacement doors with silicone plugs.

Poosley

Thanks - the 'worst' part of the floor was actually between the cargo door and the bedroom door - so either might be a suspect. There is also a little spot of delamination under the front roof gutter - but again - I cannot determine how the water might get from the roof to the floor. Nothing obvious unless it is running down inside the wall from the gutter. But I would think there would be more delam or something that I could feel/see as damaged.

@Poosley I have a 2014 Heartland Wilderness with current damage in almost the EXACT same location. I discovered a leak in the nose of the trailer where I have diamond plating that meets the fiberglass. This seal was bad and allowed water to pool on the rubber trim and get behind the diamond plate. From what I can tell, there is plastic that allowed the water to run underneath the trailer floor and sit until it was absorbed by the sub floor. I haven't started the process of tearing out the framing for the bed or the vinyl yet.