Remove and replace grey tank

theschke

[FONT=&quot]I need help[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2018 Heartland Bighorn 3970RD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I need to remove and replace the grey tank for the shower/bathroom sink/washer dryer. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have the new tank from RV, Are there videos on how to do this? i have the flanges, but need to see a video how to do this. Any help is appreciated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks in advance[/FONT]

jbeletti

I need help
2018 Heartland Bighorn 3970RD
I need to remove and replace the grey tank for the shower/bathroom sink/washer dryer.
I have the new tank from RV, Are there videos on how to do this? i have the flanges, but need to see a video how to do this. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Hi Tim,

My response to your Facebook post:
I don't have any video links, nor have I removed this tank from your floor plan. But I have removed a freshwater tank. Here's what I'd do:
1. Locate and expose the tank (remove coroplast and insulation from the area below it)
2. Make sure tank is as well drained as possible
3. Remove ABS pipe from tank outlet. You may need to remove a large screw clamp and pry/pull 3" to 1.5' adapter out of tank
4. If needed, disassemble valve body to separate it in order to remove tank, yet leave half the valve body and remaining ABS in place
5. Examine tank retention method and remove all retention, then lower tank down
6. Cleanup 3" to 1.5" adapter and install in new tank
7. With help, install new tank, pin it back in place and reconnect valve body
These are just some general steps but should get you well on your way.

You'll likely get a bit more play on this here on the forum. Wishing you all the best.

danemayer

If you have a drop-frame (frame is lower in front), remove the coroplast in that front section and things will be much clearer. Getting the coroplast mounting screws out will be easier with an impact wrench than with a rachet.

Flick

Thanks, seems fairly straightforward, but just wanted to see it actually done

That should be a fun job. Since you have the replacement, that will reward you well with knowing in advance what’s come by down. Take a few pictures to help you remember how things were. Be safe.

Piperflyer

I recommend you find out how the vent and drain pipe are fastened to the new tank. Not sure if they are glued!

Piperflyer

Piperflyer, how do I do that?

The tank I purchased had no fitting attached to it to join the drain and vent pipe too. I hot air welded the new fittings to the new tank. You might find an adhesive product out there to do the same thing, but I wanted to make sure the fittings were really secure.