Ford, 6.7 problem

Lou_and_Bette

About 5 miles East of Rawlins, WY, while pulling a hill, loud bang, slightly different sound and truck lost some power. We limped into Rawlins and discovered Wyoming Diesel Repair was just a half mile away. We discovered this because the firemen, who were called out for the large plume of black smoke that belched out after I eased off the throttle, told us about it, called them and found out they could maybe get us in tomorrow, Thursday, but for sure on Monday. Closed Friday for the 4th of July weekend. Found a KOA park near by but could only have 30 Amp site with water. Nothing else. Started trying to find some one able to tow 5thW. We were supposed to arrive that day at Dave and Amy Tardiff’s so called him about delay. He called back, 10 minutes later and told us he was coming for us. 4 hours later, he shows up, we hook up and he drives 5 hours back home. Wow, what a friend. Any way, the truck problem turned out to be a broken Cold air side Turbo Intercooler tube. While waiting for the diagnosis of truck problem, googled “broken turbo intake tube.” Got many hits but the one most helpful was the “powerstroke.com” forum. Seems not serious problem and occurs often enough that this forum has a thread titled “where were you when the tube let loose?” I had heard of several of our members that clamps on this tube had failed on them and easy fix. It seems, after reading many posts on this topic, that it takes less than 30 minutes to fix, if you have the part. I would strongly encourage all my fellow 6.7 owners to buy this part (I paid $108, which probably included the overnight shipping) and keep it with you on the road. I was at 95k miles and 100k seems to be the magic number. Good travels. Lou

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Yep. Has happened to others. Duane blew his last year while towing and another friend just lost his in Idaho last week. I replaced mine as a preventative measure after Duane’s blew. We were at about the same mileage 120-130K. No turbo, no power!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I had this happen on a 6.0 and a 6.4. While I only had my 6.7 for a year or so - no turbo hose issue in that short time.

Dave and Amy are sweet people.

avvidclif

You should see a big rig when the turbo blows. It will put out a smoke screen you can't see thru. Not much power either.

RoadJunkie

Mine blew at about 45K miles. Fortunately I was only towing a little UTV at the time and limped home. The dealer covered it under emissions warranty.

My 2012 blew at about 60k. Was pulling my new just purchased Deere on Hwy 50 near Redding Ca. Limped into the dealer in Redding and 2.5 hours later I was back on the road.

wdk450

Looking on the Internet, I see a LOT of UPGRADED cold intake tubes to address this problem.

pjones1969

I replaced the stock cold side intercooler pipe with a Rudy’s Diesel in June 2017 after hearing about this issue, before a 500 mile road trip, I still carry the stock pipe behind my seat “just in case” but haven’t needed it. This is a must do replacement, I’ve had friends blow theirs just going down the road, no load, and some blow it pulling heavy so there is no sure moment or mileage of when it happens, but it seems to happen at the least convenient time.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1492371-popped-the-hot-side-intercooler-tube-6.html

Happened to me just after leaving work one afternoon, 2015 6.7! Skeered the bejeezies outa me! Turbo hose clamp blew off (metal ring). Actually saw when it hit the inside of the hood! Yeah, 38 miles later with no power, I got her home. Common on 6.7’s, at least the early gens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I had a turbo output to intercooler hose (rubber/fabric) blow on my 5.9 Cummins during routine driving (not towing) a few months back. I didn't notice much in power loss, first noticed a loud wind sound on engine revs. A new Gates hose with new turbo rated clamps fixed the problem.

porthole

Retired
And it doesn't just happen to our trucks.

Twice I've had the hose let go on a 70,000 pound ladder truck responding to a fire.

The first time was a part failure.
The 2nd time was an improper repair failure.