Shackles woe

Lou_and_Bette

Got to our campsite here on Oregon coast and noticed the RV was leaning towards the off-door side even though the concrete pad was very level. Started investigating and found that both shackles attaching the forward eye of my rear axel’s leaf springs had failed. Not sure when this happened but we were on some real curves while crossing over the mountains to the coast. Also, last year, had to have portable welder come to our site in Maine to fix rear door-side spring hanger that had broken completely loose. This year, after repacking and adjusting brakes, and retorquing all bolts, found half of rear spring hanger on off-door broken but in place. Had that welded up also. So, don’t know if failure of shackles was because of too much stress after spring hanger failures or, too much stress from a lot of miles on extremely curvy roads. Just know, that damage wasn’t there, 2500miles ago. Third photo is of the nick it put in my propane pipe, had very small leak. Trying to fix, temp, with J.B. Weld

o.8A26D263-DD4A-41AF-955E-0A3A98590C3B.jpg2B7AEE88-22AC-44B8-A09C-08A0664F3813.jpg27A1B1BC-CA25-496C-9FBE-B0CC64F302A8.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Shackles can slowly stretch over time, and you may not realize it until this (breakage) happens. I recall one shackle broke on our ElkRidge, when we did our test-tug for the hitch with the wheels blocked before departing Breckenridge, CO. Luckily, Dan and Ann Mayer were in the same park and gave assistance for the replacement. The other shackle that didn’t break was also elongated. Once home again, we replaced all the shackles and bolts.

377636185745ee0c7848630146f97652.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LBR

During the upgrade with our 8K axles, disc brakes, shocks, and XFactor we also had the Roadmaster kit put on our tri-axle CY. This kit eliminates those pivot point parts and pieces that get tortured, and replaces them with boxes and slipper springs.

This eliminates a lot of load stress when driving and especially when turning as the axles are now independent from each other. Not as good as the IS, but nice to know the axles can "steer" a little in tight turns and can work separately on today's roads.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Call here or source of your choice and order the heavy duty wet bolt kit shipped overnight or as quickly as possible. You won’t be disappointed

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/MOR-ryde-UO12-029-Shackle-Kit-Correct-Track-p/15-8368.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto

Anyone reading this thread. If you don't have the HD wet bolt & shackles kit. You should do it as soon as you can. The Factory bolts, shackles, and nylon bushings are junk.
And if your thinking of doing the MorRyde IS ---- DO IT
That is the 2nd best thing we've done following #1 the disc brakes.

After all of the suspension issues we have had with broken bolts and 4 different broken springs all 4 corners. I'm so glad that is all behind us !!!! No pun intended LOL

Good luck on your repair. Luckily it is a easy fix ones you have the new parts

Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Performance Trailer Braking can beat that price. AND THEY ARE A Heartland owner also.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Podge

Have a 2018 Heartland Fuel 335 Toy Hauler, realize this is not a high end unit but it has worked quite well to this point. I am into antique bikes and many of the meets are some distance from our home. Did the upgrade earlier this year to the 7000 lb axle suspension this year. Installed Morryde HD shackles with greaseable pins and bronze bushings as well as the CRE-3000 equalizer. We left to go to three different meets in late August and the round trip was approximately 6000 miles, First broke rear right spring. Replaced both left and right side rear springs. At each fuel stop I always circle the wagon, check air pressure, feel wheel bearings and just do a general inspection and walk around. On one of these checks found rear right hanger starting to crack at the weld so we stopped and had it repaired and gusseted. A few hundred miles later discovered left rear hanger totally detached. So had that repaired and changed out both rear hangers for heavier hangers and ran a heavy piece of angle iron between the 2 rear hangers. About a 1000 miles later broke another spring, right front so again had both front springs replaced. Not my choice but all 4 replacement springs were made in China, beggars can't be choosers. Am home now having trailer serviced and winterized and am trying to locate someone who is truly knowledgeable about RV undercarriage. Do I replace the springs only with heavier springs? Should I have Independent suspension installed ? If so whose. Do I go with heavier axles, springs and hangers? If so whose and how do I ensure it is aligned properly. Am thinking would also be good to add disk brakes . Am looking for any advice and suggestions.
Thanks Mike

Dahillbilly

weigh your RV when it's loaded like when traveling, this will help to determins if you really need the heavier axles. 8k springs will help but a little stiffer ride for the RV. I'm in the process of installing a disc brake kit on our RV which it close to your Fuel in size, 40 foot toyhauler empty weight of 16,660.

Mark C

Bought a new 2018 Heartland Touque 345 in 07/2018 with a extended 5 year warranty Went to load Up for road trip and low and behold I too have a broke off right rear leaf spring hanger My question is should I file a claim thru the extended warranty company who will probably do nothing more then fix the broke hanger or file with Lippert whom I feel will do a more in in depth inspection of the entire system or I am I assuming wrong Does anyone have a idea of a Lippert certified welding company in the Dallas Fort Worth area if there is such a thing

david-steph2018

I really would not expect Lippert to do a more in-depth inspection, they did NOT do it on our rig when we broke a hangar in 2020. At that time, we were even in Elkhart County Fairgrounds, a couple miles from Lippert frame factory. I just got a mobile welder to come out and repair the broken hangar and he welded some gussets in place to help out.

Mark C

I really would not expect Lippert to do a more in-depth inspection, they did NOT do it on our rig when we broke a hangar in 2020. At that time, we were even in Elkhart County Fairgrounds, a couple miles from Lippert frame factory. I just got a mobile welder to come out and repair the broken hangar and he welded some gussets in place to help out. Thanks for the information I guess I will check with the dealership and see if they have someone that recommend and maybe has dealt with this before

centerline

I agree that the heavy duty shackles are much better than the OEM stuff, but if its set up right, the oem stuff can work well for years with no problems....

BUT, with what you describe and the photo you shared, I will have to say that you need to replace all the shackles, bolts and bushings, and make sure they get tightened properly..... as opposed to how spring shackles usually get tightened. ALL the movable joints in the suspension SHOULD be tightened all the way to tight, then backed off 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn..... this prevents un-necessary side movement in the suspension on corners, which is the biggest cause of premature wear...

as for the wet bolt kits as have been mentioned in other posts, unless the maintenance is kept up timely, its just an expensive experiment.... and I can tell from the several failures you have experienced, that you, like many, many others, would rather travel than work on your trailer, which is absolutely fine,.. but my point is, the wet bolt kit may not be for you.

and the bronze bushings vs the nylon bushings.... nylon MAY not last as long as bronze, but are a lot cheaper and easier to replace..... where as the bronze is a bit brittle and can break up over time.... and if bronze bushings are installed in older spring ends, and being used with old bolts that show even the slightest wear, they are pretty much guaranteed to fail quickly....

what you use is a personal choice, and how long it lasts depends on the maintenance it gets.... so unless you feel like doing a full inspection and greasing the suspension every couple of thousand miles, the heavy duty shackle kit with the oem nylon bushings would be my recommendation....

centerline

Look at this support:
generic.... unless you order a special design, the hangers are all about the same.... but make sure you get the correct length.... the bolt in support that you have shown may help, but I have no experience with them.... I have WELDED in supports to some suspensions on trailers that always haul maximum loads, which does help when the suspension continually show signs of side stress....