Slide Topper Stitching Starting to Pull Apart

RVFun4Us

Noticed when I was inspecting the top of the fifth wheel that the stitching next to the slide topper where it attachs to the rail is starting to pull apart. The stitching at the end of the awning is double and triple stitched and looks OK. But just inward of that, the stitching is breaking for about 12 inches on one end of the slide topper. The other toppers look fine. So was wondering if I used gorilla tape to secure where it is pulling apart, if that would work? I have used gorilla tape before on the coroplast and it is strong and doesn't seem to disintegrate. Would that be a solution to my topper? Want to resolve this before it continues to move and pull apart further down the topper.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've already replaced all of my slide topper material as well as one roller that wore out.
Might be time to just replace it.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Gorilla tape next to the wall might let you get by for a while.

But Cookie's right - it's probably just time to replace the fabric. I replaced the originals after 4 years. Fabric came from toughtopawnings.com . 5 year warranty. One of my replacements tore last year, just under 5 years. No questions asked - they shipped replacement fabric. They have videos and instructions on replacement. For large slides, you'll want 2 people on ladders, although in 2014 I did it with one on a ladder and one on the roof.

TobyMak

My stitching came apart in a wind. I removed the awning and took it to a commercial awning manufacturer. They sewed it with better thread. They only charged me $45.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVFun4Us

I put gorilla tape down along the wall as Dan had suggested over the damaged areas. Just one slide, all the others look fine. We will see how long that lasts. Thanks for your suggestions.