USS Indianapolis CA -35 75 years ago today

david-steph2018

With our units being made in Indiana I thought this story would relate to what we enjoy and love doing today, please read and think about her and her crew:
On July 30, 1945 the USS Indianapolis was running from delivering the A-bomb to the Philippines to get ready for the invasion of Japan. At 12:03 am she took 2 torpedoes from a Japanese sub, I-58. She went down in 12 minutes taking approximately 300 men with her. The rest of her crew went into the water. Almost 900 men went in, they floated for over 4 days fighting weather, starvation, dehydration and sharks. They had very little life rafts, floater nets and other gear.

At the end when rescued they only saved 316 men, 317 were recused but 1 died after being rescued, from the almost 900 that went into the water. Today on July 29, 2020 at 11:03 am is the time she was struck. The time difference is because of the time zone, and International Date line. The CNO has ordered a moment of silence from 11:03 am to 11:15 am in her and her crew remembrance.

In August 2017 the Indy was finally located at the bottom at 18,000 feet. She was discovered about 35 miles from where she was assumed to have sunk.

Being Navy, I just wanted to throw this out there for others so these men, and their ship are not forgotten.

https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-...lis.html#wreck

If this is posted in the wrong area or offends others I am sorry.

HOOKERUP

Never apologize for offending. My father was a pilot on the Yorktown when it was sunk at Midway. I was also Navy for 23 yrs 6 months 23 days and 13 hrs.But who was counting.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
With our units being made in Indiana I thought this story would relate to what we enjoy and love doing today, please read and think about her and her crew:
On July 30, 1945 the USS Indianapolis was running from delivering the A-bomb to the Philippines to get ready for the invasion of Japan. At 12:03 am she took 2 torpedoes from a Japanese sub, I-58. She went down in 12 minutes taking approximately 300 men with her. The rest of her crew went into the water. Almost 900 men went in, they floated for over 4 days fighting weather, starvation, dehydration and sharks. They had very little life rafts, floater nets and other gear.

At the end when rescued they only saved 316 men, 317 were recused but 1 died after being rescued, from the almost 900 that went into the water. Today on July 29, 2020 at 11:03 am is the time she was struck. The time difference is because of the time zone, and International Date line. The CNO has ordered a moment of silence from 11:03 am to 11:15 am in her and her crew remembrance.

In August 2017 the Indy was finally located at the bottom at 18,000 feet. She was discovered about 35 miles from where she was assumed to have sunk.

Being Navy, I just wanted to throw this out there for others so these men, and their ship are not forgotten.

Never be sorry!. Thanks for sharing. ND5 Leavitt

david-steph2018

Never apologize for offending. My father was a pilot on the Yorktown when it was sunk at Midway. I was also Navy for 23 yrs 6 months 23 days and 13 hrs.But who was counting.

You know they did find the Yorktown in 1998. It is said "she sits upright and looks good for a 76 year old".

"Hi-Viz" Bill

As a WWII history buff, I'm aware of the plight of the Indianapolis and the hardships & sacrifices the sailors had to endure. An AWESOME Post David!!! Thank you for the reminder & THANK YOU for your service!!

I have visited the USS Indianapolis memorial in Indianapolis, Indiana, moving site.
I’m an Army Vet, but have read many stories, and books over the years on the Pacific War.
My interest being primarily the WW 2 Submarines, their crews, and their stories.
I can’t even imagine the horrors those survivors of the Indy went through.
Thanks for your post, good to bring back memories of what our fathers did for this country.

Hockster