End of an Era

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, after 11 summers using the BH on a seasonal site, that’s coming to an end soon. The CG now has new owners and they’ve got some funny ideas on seasonals and being guaranteed the same site. They want to tell you where you might be, and if you’re gone for more than 21 days, they expect you to move or pay an extra $10 a day “campsite storage fee” on top of the Increased season fee of $2800 (was $2500).

So, we contacted General RV about selling them our rig and being done with it. We’ll take a hit, based on their quote, but I don’t have the facilities to show and sell it on my own. With a little luck, we’ll be done with it before the end of August. Might still buy a place in the area since we will still have our pontoon up here, unless we sell that, too, in time.

We’ve been mulling the idea for some time, but this nailed it for us. And looking at RV Trader and other sides, as well as General, they don’t want rigs older than 15 years, so it’s now or depreciation to nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jbeletti

John - when the 'Horn is gone, don't be a stranger around here. It's been a great 11 year run and we still want to hear from you. Wishing you all the best in selling the unit and your next chapter.

Flick

John, I don’t know you except for what you post here and although it’s difficult to make moves that are so different from what we know and love, we individually must do what’s right for ourselves. Enjoy your new endeavors and have fun.

danemayer

John,

It's sad when longstanding arrangements get upended. In any case, I hope everything works out well for you.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We’ll miss you here. You’ve been a mainstay for so long! Best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Thanks for the kind words, gang. I’ll be sticking around the forum, trying to help out when I can.

Since all they want is basically what’s attached to the rig or OEM, I’ll have a few accessories available for sale in the near future. Like our Porta-Deck, BAL kingpin stand, and a few other sundry items. I’ll put up a list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby A

Hi John,

Really really don't like to hear this (AGAIN), we had the same thing happen to us hear in Fl. several years ago. I don't understand the new owners tearing apart the campgrounds and destroying people that have supported that establishment for a long time. We were devastated when it happened, but it turned out to be a blessing. We found another park about 20 miles away that was much nicer and much cheaper with much more opportunities for Lisa and I. I would assume you have looked for other campgrounds ?? If not, don't sell the horn till you look around, there are many campgrounds in MI. If you do sell and get out please don't stay away, you have helped me out many many times, you have been my go to guy for a long time and I really appreciate your willingness to always be there and help. Your a good man Charlie Brown. LOL

Keep in touch,
Bobby A

Last edited:

JohnDar

Hi John,

Really really don't like to hear this (AGAIN), we had the same thing happen to us hear in Fl. several years ago. I don't understand the new owners tearing apart the campgrounds and destroying people that have supported that establishment for a long time. We were devastated when it happened, but it turned out to be a blessing. We found another park about 20 miles away that was much nicer and much cheaper with much more opportunities for Lisa and I. I would assume you have looked for other campgrounds ?? If not, don't sell the horn till you look around, there are many campgrounds in MI. If you do sell and get out please don't stay away, you have helped me out many many times, you have been my go to guy for a long time and I really appreciate your willingness to always be there and help. Your a good man Charlie Brown. LOL

Keep in touch,
Bobby A

Bobby, we've kinda been looking at how to end our sojourn with the BH for some time, but this put the nail in the coffin. And if we did move somewhere else, we'd lose the use of our pontoon on the lakes we like to use it. That, and the realization that when a rig gets to be 15 years, no broker wants it and you have to try selling it on your own. We don't have anywhere to do that, so now is the time for us, while the rig still has some value. We've enjoyed the BH for 11 years and done many things to it based on what I've found here, but it's time to move on. I'll still be around and call if you need my help. And we still have other travel options, when the COVID restrictions are gone.