Certified RV Tech Training

Dennyha

I just retired from my engineer/manager job of 36 years. Now, I’m thinking of getting training to become a certified RV Tech with the goal of starting a mobile RV service business. It looks like there are 2 options. The first is with the developing RVIA in Elkhart. The second is with the well established RVSA in Palmetto FL.
I am looking for feedback on experiences, impressions, etc. Cost is comparable between the two for the school. RVIA is going online due to COVID. I would have to stay at an RV park to do the 10 weeks at RVSA in FL, adding cost.
thanks

Last edited:

Dennyha

Here's another option. I've stayed at the park but don't know anything about the school

https://nrvta.com/
Terry Cooper’s school is a good option for someone looking to learn about their own rig, but it’s not a path to be a Certified RV Tech. Cooper’s school is, I believe, 5 days. The RVSA course in FL is 10 weeks. The RVIA course is 8 weeks.

CORRECTION:
I just learned that NRVTA does have a path to becoming a certified RV tech. After the 5 day basic maintenance course, they offer a 4 week training course to a certified RV tech.

Last edited:

Dennyha

I’ve decided to attend the RV Services Academy in Palmetto, FL. The next session starts on Sept 14th.

travlingman

If you wouldn't mind doing some updates through the course I would appreciate it and I think others would too. I have thought of this option as to young to retire but tired of working in manufacturing management.

Dennyha

As I promised, I’m checking back in on this training.

I’m in week 5 of the 10 week class. The first few weeks focused on the fundamentals of electricity, propane, and water systems. Then, we worked into much more of the hands on training, including electrical components (relays, solenoids, rectifiers, etc.), converters, water heaters, and now we’re on refrigerators. We even learned to plastic weld to repair holding tanks.
I’m enjoying the class very much, and feel very comfortable working on the components we’ve covered so far. I’m looking forward to utilizing this information when the training is over.

Warrstang331

North Carolina Chapter Leaders
As I promised, I’m checking back in on this training.

I’m in week 5 of the 10 week class. The first few weeks focused on the fundamentals of electricity, propane, and water systems. Then, we worked into much more of the hands on training, including electrical components (relays, solenoids, rectifiers, etc.), converters, water heaters, and now we’re on refrigerators. We even learned to plastic weld to repair holding tanks.
I’m enjoying the class very much, and feel very comfortable working on the components we’ve covered so far. I’m looking forward to utilizing this information when the training is over.

Just ran across this post on here and will be following now. I to will be attending the Class in palmetto Fl. Glad to know that you have so far learned a lot. My Class date is Jan 4, 2021.

Dennyha

I finished the class the week of Nov 16th, and passed the Master RV Tech exam. As of today, I am an RVSA Certified RV Technician. After a year of experience, and providing documentation back to the school, I can be an RVSA Certified Master RV Technician. It was a good experience, and I learned a lot.

Since returning to Tennessee last week, I've already had 4 service calls, and turned one down. All 4 calls went well. I was able to troubleshoot the issue, and fix it.

I've listed my business on Yelp and Facebook. I am having an exceptionally difficult time getting my business on Google for Business. Their customer service is virtually non-existent. They tell me my profile does not meet their standards, but don't say why. Very frustrating. Here's hoping things work out. I've never started a business before.

Warrstang331

I finished the class the week of Nov 16th, and passed the Master RV Tech exam. As of today, I am an RVSA Certified RV Technician. After a year of experience, and providing documentation back to the school, I can be an RVSA Certified Master RV Technician. It was a good experience, and I learned a lot.

Since returning to Tennessee last week, I've already had 4 service calls, and turned one down. All 4 calls went well. I was able to troubleshoot the issue, and fix it.

I've listed my business on Yelp and Facebook. I am having an exceptionally difficult time getting my business on Google for Business. Their customer service is virtually non-existent. They tell me my profile does not meet their standards, but don't say why. Very frustrating. Here's hoping things work out. I've never started a business before.

Congratulations on RVSA certification. I will be in class January 4 2021 and looking forward to it. Hope all works out well for you. With the posting of your business on google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrstang331

Good luck to you. The 10 weeks starts off slow, but then flies by. Let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with.

Thanks. Will be posting as time goes on with the training or any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travlingman

Congratulations. Good to hear calls coming in the first week too.

Some questions on the school:

Do you feel you got your moneys worth?
Is there a lot of hands on or mostly instructing you how?
Did most of your classmates make it through the class and test?
Does someone need a good mechanical background before taking the class or will you learn what you need? An example would be me. I am a machinist by trade but know nothing about electricity. Would I stand a chance?

Thanks and congrats again.

Dennyha

Congratulations. Good to hear calls coming in the first week too.

Some questions on the school:

Do you feel you got your moneys worth? Yes
Is there a lot of hands on or mostly instructing you how? 60-70% instruction, 30-40% hands on
Did most of your classmates make it through the class and test? Everyone made it through and passed the test. Some needed more attention than others.
Does someone need a good mechanical background before taking the class or will you learn what you need? An example would be me. I am a machinist by trade but know nothing about electricity. Would I stand a chance? You would be fine.

Thanks and congrats again.
As for my business, it seems to be taking off nicely. Since the week of Thanksgiving, I’ve completed 45 work orders, and this is the off season. I really enjoy what I’m doing, and it seems to be steady work.

travlingman

Thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear the business is taking off. I think 45 jobs in the limited time and in off season is a good sign.

Best of all is that you enjoy what you are doing. :cool:

Dennyha

I thought it was time to check in again. My business has become crazy busy. We are booked out 2 weeks and can’t keep up with the demand. We’ve decided we’re going to take a break and travel at least once each month to keep from getting burned out. I still love what I’m doing, but this will overwhelm me if I let it.

jbeletti

I thought it was time to check in again. My business has become crazy busy. We are booked out 2 weeks and can’t keep up with the demand. We’ve decided we’re going to take a break and travel at least once each month to keep from getting burned out. I still love what I’m doing, but this will overwhelm me if I let it.
Thanks for the update. Happy to hear you're busy and good on you to schedule your breaks away from the business.

I have a pal in NC that is in the mobile repair business and he is super slammed. has been for about a year.