Wanting to install 2nd battery - 5er

cmalberto

Wanting to install another battery(5th wheel in battery bay) but not enough room for another vent. So I was wondering what kind of batteries are there that won't require an additional vent for its case? I was thinking maybe AGM but I don't know enough about these. Lithiums are expensive but I don't know if they require venting either.

I have plenty of room for another case - I have even looked for a something like a Y connection to connect to a single vent opening - but to no avail.

zolman

I actually added 2 more batteries. But I don't have a generator. I just used 1 1/2" corrugated split wire loom and duct tape to make additional venting and the "Y" connections. Works great and powers frig all night.

cmalberto

I actually added 2 more batteries. But I don't have a generator. I just used 1 1/2" corrugated split wire loom and duct tape to make additional venting and the "Y" connections. Works great and powers frig all night.

I would like to see a picture of that if you can.

zolman

Sorry,can't take picture. Rig is at dealer getting warranty work, awning rail refastened with exploding rivets.

Flick

Wanting to install another battery(5th wheel in battery bay) but not enough room for another vent. So I was wondering what kind of batteries are there that won't require an additional vent for its case? I was thinking maybe AGM but I don't know enough about these. Lithiums are expensive but I don't know if they require venting either.

I have plenty of room for another case - I have even looked for a something like a Y connection to connect to a single vent opening - but to no avail.

I understand what your describing and I think many others have done the same wondering how to vent this area.
I will post this with a disclaimer by saying that someone could probably find a problem with how I did my 2 battery setup but I also think some people would agree.
First of all, I installed 2 AGM group 34 batteries. These batteries are sealed and release no gases unless they have a malfunction. That hopefully would be very rare. I purchased another battery box and cut an extra hole thru the compartment floor approximately as large as the hole in the new battery box which in my case was around 2 1/2” so the battery box could drain to the underside if needed. Now I have 2 battery boxes side by side both with openings to the underside.
Here’s where some probably won’t agree with me. Since I have 1 vent, I didn’t put the top of the battery boxes in place. I zip tied the vent hose directly above the 2 batteries that are side by side and use the one vent. The battery tops are exposed but in most normal scenarios are usually exposed anyhow.
There are a couple ways to fix this. You could go to a hardware store with your 2” vent hose and try to match up a pvc y valve or tee that the vent hose from each box fits into and duct tape to seal. Or you could install a second small vent for the second vent hose but you said you don’t have enough room. This venting would have to be at the top of the compartment.
I would not recommend this with traditional wet cell batteries. This type of battery gives off enough fumes to taint the area and should be properly vented.
Just my thoughts. Have a good one.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is a old link from back when I did my 4 Group 24 batteries. I now have 2 - 150AH LifeBlue Lithium batteries in the same box and I eliminated the vents. No vents necessary for the Lithium batteries.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=441123&viewfull=1#post441123

b17e636f736c6eb6eb65cdc0267cddbb.jpg

8755337b326cb74cb7eda28d70d70276.jpg

cmalberto

I may have to end up going with a lithium to complement my wet battery if possible just to avoid the venting.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand what your describing and I think many others have done the same wondering how to vent this area.
I will post this with a disclaimer by saying that someone could probably find a problem with how I did my 2 battery setup but I also think some people would agree.
First of all, I installed 2 AGM group 34 batteries. These batteries are sealed and release no gases unless they have a malfunction. That hopefully would be very rare. I purchased another battery box and cut an extra hole thru the compartment floor approximately as large as the hole in the new battery box which in my case was around 2 1/2” so the battery box could drain to the underside if needed. Now I have 2 battery boxes side by side both with openings to the underside.
Here’s where some probably won’t agree with me. Since I have 1 vent, I didn’t put the top of the battery boxes in place. I zip tied the vent hose directly above the 2 batteries that are side by side and use the one vent. The battery tops are exposed but in most normal scenarios are usually exposed anyhow.
There are a couple ways to fix this. You could go to a hardware store with your 2” vent hose and try to match up a pvc y valve or tee that the vent hose from each box fits into and duct tape to seal. Or you could install a second small vent for the second vent hose but you said you don’t have enough room. This venting would have to be at the top of the compartment.
I would not recommend this with traditional wet cell batteries. This type of battery gives off enough fumes to taint the area and should be properly vented.
Just my thoughts. Have a good one.

So I assume the AGMs still need to be vented?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
No vents needed for AGM batteries. I have 3 of them. Two are vented using OEM case but the third is not

“A VRLA battery (valve-regulated lead–acid battery), more commonly known as a sealed battery or maintenance free battery, is a type of lead-acid rechargeable battery. Due to their construction, they do not require ventilation, can be mounted in any orientation, and do not require constant maintenance. The reduced venting is an advantage since they can be used in confined or poorly ventilated spaces. They are widely used in large portable electrical devices, systems and similar roles, where large amounts of storage are needed at a lower cost than other low-maintenance technologies like Li-Ion.

There are two primary types of VRLA batteries, gel cells and AGM. Gel cells add silica dust to the electrolyte, forming a thick putty-like gel. These are sometimes referred to as “silicone batteries”. AGM, short for “Absorbed Glass Mat”, batteries feature fiberglass mesh between the battery plates which serves to contain the electrolyte. Both designs offer advantages and disadvantages compared to conventional batteries, as well as each other.”

http://batteriesbyfisher.com/agm-batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmalberto

This is a old link from back when I did my 4 Group 24 batteries. I now have 2 - 150AH LifeBlue Lithium batteries in the same box and I eliminated the vents. No vents necessary for the Lithium batteries.

So did you have to change the converter/charger after replacing with Lithiums? And those are LifeBlue - must compare them to BattleBorn which seems to be the most popular with my research.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The thing that sold me on the LifeBlue is they have the bluetooth App to your phone built into the batteries.
You can monitor your batteries on your phone from anywhere near the RV or from the the tow vehicle traveling down the highway.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk