Battleborn Lithium batteries/Victron 3000 Multiplus install

rcjar

Hello All,

I'm in process of installing 4 Battleborn lithium ion batteries and the Victron Multiplus Inverter in my Heartland 2016 Oakmont. Has anyone out there done an install similar to this and what advice/helpful hints or precautions can you give me? A schematic would be the most helpful of a similar install.

Thanks in advance, Ron

jbeletti

Ron - I have done this. I can give you ideas but my suggestion is that you reach out to Battle Born on Monday as I believe they will do a free schematic for you.

Some basics...

ROOF
Panels > Combiner (fuses, bus, lightning protection, switch)

INSIDE RV (GEN BAY?)
DC Circuit Break (for panels) > MPPT Charge Controller > Switch > Fuse > DC Power Bus
Battle Born Batteries* > Switch > Fuse > DC Power Bus
*Battery Monitor / Shunt (battery negative to one side of shunt and all other negatives to other side)
MultiPlus Inverter DC In/Out > Switch > Fuse > DC Power Bus
AC Mains Feed > 50A Double-Pole Breaker > MultiPlus AC In (one leg only if not a split phase model)
MultiPlus AC Output > RV Breaker Panel (replaces the leg of AC power you plan to invert)

Some of my own pics (use for inspiration but not as a how-to-guide):
https://beletti.smugmug.com/RV/2020-Sundance-262-RB/Solar-and-Energy-Storage-System

rcjar

Jim Beletti,

Thanks for the info, pictures, and feedback. Yes, I will give them a call Monday and try to get a schematic. I have a residential fridge in my rig, so want to make sue all is correct. More than likely I will have a qualified electrician look everything over before final. Also putting in Easy Starts for both air conditioning units.

Ron Jardot

jbeletti

Ron - good thought in the Easy Starts. Know however that with a fully charged 400 amp hour battery bank, you'll get about 2 to 3 continuous hours of air conditioner (single) run time - depending on other AC / DC loads. Depending on your temperature set point vs outdoor temperature, you might get double that time with cycling. Of course, the more solar you have the the better as well :)

carl.swoyer

I don't have them thar fancy batteries I use 4 deka group 31 AGM batteries.
I removed the factory 2 battery plastic box and built a 4 battery bank box. My Magnum sit directly above. My solar controller is in the same place.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

rcjar

Another Question for you Jim Beletti,

Do the Heartlands have a built in transfer switch, other than the one that is attached to the Magnum Inverter? So, as I said, I have a residential Fridge, which has a Magnum transfer switch attached to the inverter. The AM Solar schematic I'm looking at shows another transfer switch, which is duplicated in the Victron Multiplus I'm installing. So my question is, if there is another transfer switch built in the 5th wheel, how do I find it?

Also, love the upgrades you're doing on new rig. In reference to # 13, the Wastemaster, does that have the electric valves as opposed to cables?

Thanks for any and all help.

Ron Jardot

jbeletti

Another Question for you Jim Beletti,

Do the Heartlands have a built in transfer switch, other than the one that is attached to the Magnum Inverter? So, as I said, I have a residential Fridge, which has a Magnum transfer switch attached to the inverter. The AM Solar schematic I'm looking at shows another transfer switch, which is duplicated in the Victron Multiplus I'm installing. So my question is, if there is another transfer switch built in the 5th wheel, how do I find it?

Also, love the upgrades you're doing on new rig. In reference to # 13, the Wastemaster, does that have the electric valves as opposed to cables?

Thanks for any and all help.

Ron Jardot

Heartland units that have a generator or are gen-prepped, do include a large transfer switch. Usually located near the converter.

I have not tried the electric valves but at time, wished I had them :)

rcjar

Thanks again Jim, my rig has a spot for the generator in the front garage/storage area where the batteries and hydraulic system is, but don't think it is generator prepped in that sense, where it would have a large transfer switch.

I'll post some pics when all done, and solar will be next year maybe?$$$$ lol Gotta get this project done first!

Ron Jardot

porthole

Retired
I'm in process of installing 4 Battleborn lithium ion batteries
advice/helpful hints or precautions can you give me?

Good, and pricey batteries, don't cheap out on the cables.
In the end 4/0 wire (welding cable, marine grade or flex wire) is really not that pricey compared to the other components, and will allow the best return on your money.

rcjar

Thanks Duane,

Yes, batteries not cheap, but they are the best on the market right now. Have made the cables using 2/0 wire. Checking out another switch before final install.

Ron Jardot