Roof Tear, PLEASE HELP!!

So apparently I got too close to a low limb and ripped a 14"-18" long 4" wide tear in my roof. I was going to use gorilla glue to glue it back down and then
put mastic over the seams? Will this be about what a reapair shop would do? Any advice on what type of mastic product to do the seams? Maybe a
different adhesive too for the actual repair? I feel sick about this, but need to get fixed ASAP instead of dwelling on my bonehead mistake.

URGENT! PLEASE HELP! and THANKS!!

Flick

So apparently I got too close to a low limb and ripped a 14"-18" long 4" wide tear in my roof. I was going to use gorilla glue to glue it back down and then
put mastic over the seams? Will this be about what a reapair shop would do? Any advice on what type of mastic product to do the seams? Maybe a
different adhesive too for the actual repair? I feel sick about this, but need to get fixed ASAP instead of dwelling on my bonehead mistake.

Sorry that happened. This should be a pretty straight forward repair using Dicor sealant and covering the whole thing with Eternabond tape. Don’t use things for the roof like Gorilla tape or glue that’s not meant for the roof. You may have to cover it with a temporary fix till you get what you need. I’m sure someone will tell you what you need to fix this tear.

jmarnell

All of the advice I've ever read strongly recommends Eternabond tape for roof and seam repairs. Mobile RV repair guy we use swears by it. Gorilla glue would probably work to glue the roof membrane down, but then use the Eternabond tape over the seam. It's readily available on Amazon, or any RV parts supply. I bought a roll just to keep handy in case of quick repairs like you are experiencing.

danemayer

Eternabond 6" wide tape is the fastest, simplest, and least expensive way to go. Here's a link to Amazon. But that's assuming it was just the Dicor rubber roof material that was damaged, and that the damage is in a place where it can be covered with tape.

Alternatively, your collision/comprehensive insurance on the trailer will probably pay for a roof replacement, less your deductible. From a resale standpoint, you won't have to explain the patch. But a full replacement can take the rig out of service for quite a while - while the repair might take a week, getting materials and scheduling the work can be much longer.

Roof replacement is very invasive and if the techs don't do a good job, you'll be back at the repair shop. And because there will be new seams at front and rear caps, you may want to cover those with Eternabond anyway.

wdk450

Eternabond tape in an appropriate width to cover the damage, do a good cleaning prep job with detergents and then alcohol. Been there, had the same happen, done that. My repair lasted about 7 years until I finally had the Henrys Tropi-cool entire roof coating done. The repair is still under that top coating. I also sealed both end caps with wide Eternabond tape years ago, along with both sides gutter to roof seam with 2" wide Eternabond the lengths of the trailer roof.

No roof leaks ever discovered, but on full disclosure I stay in mainly sunny, clear California.

I had occasion to have the front end cap removed a couple of times for front pinbox and frame upgrades/repairs, and removed the endcap Eternabond with an industrial heat gun, and slow, careful (not to harm rubber membrane with the heat) work.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
As others have said, Eternabond will be a good temporary fix (and possibly long term) until you figure out what you want to do.

We used Eternabond for tree mishap, and it held for about 2 years. I noticed being on the radius curve, it was starting to separate a bit. I added more tape. ;)

When we had hail damage earlier this year, a new roof was approved by insurance so that took care of the issue. We went with a FlexArmor spray-on roof, and shouldn’t have to worry about tree scrapes again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

different adhesive too for the actual repair from roofers alexandria va? I feel sick about this, but need to get fixed ASAP instead of dwelling on my bonehead mistake.

I would not recommend using Gorilla Glue to repair your roof. While it may provide a temporary fix, it is not a suitable long-term solution for a roof repair. Instead, I would recommend using a roofing sealant specifically designed for use on roofs. Look for a product that is waterproof and can withstand exposure to the elements, such as rain, sun, and wind. Before applying the sealant, you will need to clean the area around the tear and remove any debris or loose material. You may also want to consider using a patch to cover the tear before applying the sealant. If you are not comfortable making the repair yourself, I would recommend contacting a professional roofing contractor to assess the damage and provide a proper repair. It's important to address roof damage as soon as possible to prevent further damage and potential leaks. Don't hesitate to take action and get the repair done as soon as possible.

CoveredWagon

Etnabond. It's permanent. Once on you'll never get it off. It's actually tuffer than the original roof material.

centerline

get a couple tubes of dicor self leveling roof sealant, pull the torn roof material back over its wound and staple the edges of the tear down to the backer, then wash it with acetone and let dry for 30 minutes, then cover it with the sealant and it will outlast the life of the roof material....

as an owner of many rv's over the years, and the mistakes made, along with the neglectful practices due to using the older, less effective sealants, I can now say that with the ease that the dicor self leveling roof sealant is to use/apply, and with virtually no clean-up needed, there is no reason for ANYONE who can use a ladder, to fail and go up and re-seal the roof around the fittings EVERY year to protect their investment... its usually an easy 20-30 minute job from start to finish..

Last edited: