More info on LM/BH Slam Latch Door (by Mor/ryde)

jbeletti

Below and attached is more information on the new Slam Latch design.

Background
We wanted to improve on the industry standard and step out in front with something we feel is useful and no one else offers in 5th wheels at this time.

Affected Brands
2010 model year Landmarks and Bighorns

Doors Affected
Door side and off-door side large baggage doors, propane doors and battery doors

Supplier
The doors are supplied by Mor/ryde

Retrofit Ability
They are not retro-fittable to our pre-2010 product as the door rough openings in the wall are different

Other
Just this week, we converted over to a top hinge door design for only the door-side large baggage door.

The single door that is hinged at the top, also has 2 gas struts to hold it up.

It does not go completely vertical and due to the hinge design - cannot open 180 degrees. It still gets up and out of the way however.

Pictures and Video
I have attached images of this new door below as well as a short video clip showing me closing the large door and the propane tank door.

Video:
//heartlandowners.org/attachments/forum/slam-latch-door/slam-latch-door-poster.jpg
(click image above for video - plays well in Quicktime Player)

Pictures:
//heartlandowners.org/attachments/forum/slam-latch-door/slam-latch-door-collage.jpg

2010augusta

So my early 2010 with side hinged doors will be "rare?" They changed the battery door too? My battery door is still the old style.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I am jealous and bummed. On the positive side I really like what Heartland is doing and thank you Jim for providing all this great information and super pictures. Can't wait to see them in person.

If all these great improvements are happening now just think what will be in the wind for the 10th year anniversary models. OH BOY!!!

I am thinking of a toy hauler that has an entire rear end that reatracts (with cargo) into the living area. HMMMM maybe a little too much beer here.

Mark

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I really like the new doors. They look good and I like the handles.

I am wondering if they have the same locks.
I have talked with a number of people that have MH's that have a similar door system. Their biggest problem is that the doors do not open all the way. They have to crouch down or get on their knees to get into the doorway.

I am such a klutz that this will make another thing I will be banging my head on. I don't mind opening the door all the way and clipping it open. I like that I can get in close to the body of the trailer to get things in and out.

I know some of you have a big drawer that slides all the way in and out. This would be a problem with expense and weight for me.

I am afraid if my trailer had the same doors I would take the shocks off and put a clip to hold the door open..

You showed the passenger side door. How does the drivers side door open. It would normally be under the bed room slide. Mine opens to the front.

Thanks for the info. I do like the doors but want them to open all the way.

jbeletti

Bob,

All other doors remain hinged on the side.

I am not sure that the door will raise any higher without the struts.

The door locks do not use the 751 key. They come with their own set of keys - different than the entrance door.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
With a redesign they could open like on a Greyhound bus...pop open and then straight up..just a thought.

2010augusta

Why the change from side to top hinged? I really like the access the side swing doors give me.

Attachments

• DSCN1602 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1602 (Small).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN1604 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1604 (Small).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN1601 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1601 (Small).JPG
    50 KB · Views: 69

jbeletti

Why the change from side to top hinged? I really like the access the side swing doors give me.

That you like how yours swing is awesome. The reason we changed was based on feedback we received from dealers and from prospective owners who saw the doors on dealer lots and at RV shows.

We do our best to listen and make changes when we can.

Jim

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
observation----you know me

While I really like the direction Heartland is going with these new baggage doors I would like to challenge MorRyde to morph their design towards the radius corners. I see the radius on the opening into the storage compartment but when closed the squared off corners look a bit retro to the older trailers of yesteryear. Just my 2-cents

That said, I would love to have those doors on my rig. They look much more robust and better insulated, and I really like that latch.

Mark

wagenman

I like it! Just curious why can't they be retro fitted? I understand it would mean drilling holes for the shocks and a big one for the handle but aside of that I can't see why you couldnt...I am sure I am missing something though..lol

Just wondering? Not that I would do it anyway..lol

jnbhobe

I was told at the Cleveland show the aluminum wall studs were reconfigured so the doors would fit.The radius was built into the wall on the old style doors. JON ;) ;)

jbeletti

Thanks Jon. I had no computer access earlier today when I read this post by phone.

Yes - the aluminum framing of the walls have been reconfigured to provide the exact rough opening dimension needed for the new doors. Be that larger or smaller, I don't know.

Jim

phoenix50

I picked up my 2010 Augusta a month ago, side hinged, and I had the same question. Why not top hinge doors? Maybe I should have waited. Top hinge doors are more user friendly, and I like the change of locks on the battery door and LP tank door.

netters1

Jim, How will know which door we have on our new Landmark. We ordered it on December 9th and it should come off line on the 26th of January. Will we have all side opening doors or will we have the one that opens up with the air shocks? Do we just wait til it gets here to find out? :confused: :rolleyes:

Dragoon

Locks on the LP tank door?? This use to be illegal due to fire regulations, has this changed??? This could be a safety issue if there's a leak and the tank cannot be shut off due to a lock?? This DOES NOT seem safe to me and if it were true, I would never lock that door. A stolen propane tank is better than an explosion due to a leak where if you are not at the rig, someone could still turn off the tank and save your rig and the neighbors. I've locked the wing with a padlock so it's harder to steal a tank and yet they can still be turned off.

jpmorgan37

Bill, you are absolutely right about not locking the doors to the propane storage compartment. That being said, I don't know about the door latch, but with the OPD valve on the tanks, as soon as it senses a higher than normal flow, it shuts down. It can even shut down by opening the valve too fast into a line with no pressure. So the chance of a catastrophic leak is extremely minimal. Still, I won't ever be locking that door.

John

Dragoon

I can't tell from the pictures if their is indeed a lock on the propane door, or just a handle, which would make sense to keep with the overall look. I'm sure that Heartland has followed all the rules and regulations, so am not worried. Just an ole man, speculating before he knows the facts. Honestly, I didn't use to jump on that bandwagon when I was younger.;)

2010augusta

I can't tell from the pictures if their is indeed a lock on the propane door, or just a handle, which would make sense to keep with the overall look. I'm sure that Heartland has followed all the rules and regulations, so am not worried. Just an ole man, speculating before he knows the facts. Honestly, I didn't use to jump on that bandwagon when I was younger.;)
Dragoon your right same latch, but no lock on the propane doors.

I didn't care for the side swing doors at first, but now I like the access they give and I don't hit my head :Das I lean in to grab stuff or crawl out after fixing water leaks;).

jbeletti

Jim, How will know which door we have on our new Landmark. We ordered it on December 9th and it should come off line on the 26th of January. Will we have all side opening doors or will we have the one that opens up with the air shocks? Do we just wait til it gets here to find out? :confused: :rolleyes:

We made the running line change this week on the one door. So if yours comes off-line next week, it will be the top hinge on that one door and it will have the gas struts.

Jim