Air Compressor

Dave

Traveling Two
Lowes has a .8 hp 6 gallon Porter-Cable air compressor for $140.00. Has anyone any experience with this air compressor? Will it "top off" a tire to 80psi faster than my cheapo WM $75.00 unit? Thanks for you input and be safe!!

Chuck Richard

I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor that is either 5 or 6 gallan and 150psi and it does a great job for a little guy. I have no complaints and it is easy to carry around.

SmokeyBare

Yes Dave, if the compressor has a small air tank... it will be able to use that reserve to charge the tire... I make sure my compressor is running when I need to top off my tires @ 110 PSI.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I need it, I just take my 3 gallon Makita compressor out. Bought it with a brad nailer and it runs my pin nailer, also. I think just about any small compressor intended to drive an air tool, like a small nailer, will provide enough pressure to fill a tire easily. The size of the tank only dictates how many times the compressor has to cycle to fill the tire. Even the cigarette lighter type compressors can fill a tire...if you've brought a sandwich for the wait.

boatdoc

Same as Ray, does a good job on the 110lb. tires as long as it's running when you're filling. Might save you some bucks to go this route. Just used it yesterday.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Even the cigarette lighter type compressors can fill a tire...if you've brought a sandwich for the wait.

So many of the cheap air compressors are really 12V motors just like the cigarette jobs...they just put a 110- 12V converter in them. Pop a small tank on them, and sell them for an air compressor rather than an air pump.

If you need to pump some serious air...you are going to need a serious air compressor.

Check out Harbor Freight.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
The only problem I found with my ugh! 2 lb Porter Cable air compressor, is that without an active outlet, when we went to the tow yard to begin the trip, we had no way to activate the air compressor. Wish they made those with batteries. It's great on the road, but without a hookup to electricity how do u use those air compressors, if you don't have a generator? Ongoing question would like an answer, before I sell that baby. It's a little heavy for my bad back.

Dave

Traveling Two
LarryHead Hunter presents a good issue, without AC power what good are the "portable" air compressors? My thought was to fill up the air compressor prior to getting on the road and top off a tire if I needed to. Appears the air compressors that can accomplish this are going to be to large to reasonably carry along. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and inputs.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've wanted to and still do, buy and hook up an inverter of about 1500 to 2000 watts just for that reason. To plug in the compressor if needed and no electric available. It's one of those priority things I guess. I should just go out and "do it".

Dave

Traveling Two
Ray...Great idea!! 1500-2000W inverter it is. This is why this forum is so great to view and ask questions. Thanks! Take care and be careful!!

fljlcw

I mounted A 12v comp. kit to my truck for those times I dont have elec dont remember the site but google air comp for jeeps and offroading and you should get it
Fred

boatdoc

Guys, Watch what inverter you try and use for the air compressor. My 2000 watt MODIFIED won't start my compressor or run our electric blanket!!

dp7955

I have a small pancake compressor that i run off of my 12V AC adapter and have used it for several years this way. also by pulling off the cover to the pressure switch it can be adjusted up a little to about 120 psi to top off tires just be sure you do not exceed the tank rating, the rating should be on the compressor tag, if not you can get the info on line! Dave

If your inverter wont start the compressor just bleed the compressor down a little more and it wont overload the inverter. then the compressor will start

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Guys, Watch what inverter you try and use for the air compressor. My 2000 watt MODIFIED won't start my compressor or run our electric blanket!!
Any thoughts as to why? I've been thinking about an inverter but then started thinking generator. Wasn't there a post earlier today, something about a money pit???:D

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Any thoughts as to why? I've been thinking about an inverter but then started thinking generator. Wasn't there a post earlier today, something about a money pit???:D

The motor will run just fine...it just won't *START* worth a poop. Some motors will only start on a pure sinewave inverter.

todalake

Generator

I got a Champion 3500 Watt Generator at Cabela's last month for $299 and had an additional $20 off coupon. Not a Honda or Yamaha but for the money and my little usage, great value.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Make sure your inverter's continuous wattage output exceeds the wattage (volts x amps) required by your compressor. If your compressor says it runs on 10A, you'll need at least 1150 watts for it to run, more for the start-up. Saving a few bucks by buying a smaller converter will leave you "flat". :mad: