Air Conditioning problems?

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Have you noticed that you are not getting enough air out of the a/c
vents in the bedroom and livingroom area :rolleyes:, I happen to notice this a few weeks ago when using our a/c, actually I noticed this some time before but thought that it was suppose to be like that, but as curiosity got the best of me I decided to check and see what could be done to improve the air flow and removed the a/c vent and in doing so I found that the duct work in the bedroom went beyond the vent and into the back toward the closet area,thus sending the cool air back to the back before it could come down the vent, noticing this I checked the one in the living area and discovered the same, I then went to Lowes and purchased some very thin flashing cut it to fit the duct and placed it into the opening at the edge and used some aluminum duct tape and now the airflow comes straight down and with much better force, and now DW is much happier, Oh ya a/c in March forgot to mention a month in Key West,Florida :D...
Mike

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mike, changing how the air flows out the vents really help our a/c work more efficiently like yours. Here's a link to another modification that improves it even more. It's a very long thread but it shouldn't take you long to understand the basic idea. It's an easy mod too. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1069

imchud

At the end of last year I found the thread about the using a deflector on the main air unit to help direct the air flow into the ducting... It worked great... I guess i don't understand why it make a difference if the ducting went beyond the opening:confused:.. Wouldn't the air just deadhead to fill the excess space and then flow normal:confused:, why if you blocked the excess space thats deadheaded anyway would it improve the airflow:eek:...

thanks,

SmokeyBare

Tom,

I sealed off the ends of the runs both in the bedroom as well as the Living room. I was concerned they might have leakage at each end... by sealing each end run... I was sure there would be no cold A/C air getting to places it wouldn't do any good.

Shadowchek

At the end of last year I found the thread about the using a deflector on the main air unit to help direct the air flow into the ducting... It worked great... I guess i don't understand why it make a difference if the ducting went beyond the opening:confused:.. Wouldn't the air just deadhead to fill the excess space and then flow normal:confused:, why if you blocked the excess space thats deadheaded anyway would it improve the airflow:eek:...

thanks,

No actually it would cause a lot of turbulence with the air fighting to figure out which way to go putting more pressure on your blower slowing it down slightly decreasing over all air flow in addition to it not coming out right at the end registers. If you put a curved deflector at the rear of the last duct in line that would be best. You could use part of an aluminum can or some thin sheet metal.

Greg

imchud

Thank you, I can see where that would help with the air flow. And here I thought i was done with my to do list, but the more I read these post the longer my list gets :D

Shadowchek

Thank you, I can see where that would help with the air flow. And here I thought i was done with my to do list, but the more I read these post the longer my list gets :D

In the begining I had a pretty good sized to do list. It was basically improvements that I would have to do on any new unit I purchased. Now that I have whittled that list down We love our Bighorn even more.

Greg :D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not that it's a bad thing but my list is almost done. :p I only have one major improvement left and that is the suspension. I have to decide how much I want to spend for either independent suspension from Mor-Ryde or just get the Dexter wet bolt kit installed. Big difference in cost so not sure which way to go.:confused:

Tom of Ypsi

Ray,

We followed Jim & Shiela Gratz to "The Rally" in Albuquerque, NM yesterday and noticed that their coach which has the IS system did not rock on uneven roads. Maybe it was my eyes just wanting me to get the IS system but to me it looked sturdier going down the road. Talking with Jim he is very adamant about getting the disc brakes first then the IS system if looking at priorities.