Stuck In Las Cruces

scott b

Hi Don , just wondering how your repairs are coming , and to see if they have given you any indication as to how these things occurred. I thought they would probably have the front cap off by now and would be able to let you know.Hope things are coming along and that you get back on the road soon. Scott

jpmorgan37

I get amused when I read some of these post. Comparing an 99 Prowler TT to a 2988 RB Sundance is really astute. We had a Prevost parked next to us all summer and they had a mobile repair technician out no less than 10 times working on different problems on that coach. Are we going to have problems? In my almost 20 years of RV'ing and one pop up, one slide in pickup camper, and three 5th wheels, I will guarantee you that you will have problems. Can we expect perfection in our new RV? Sure, but realistically, it isn't going to happen. Can we expect that warranty will cover the repairs? Yes, if we purchased it from a reputable dealer or a reputable company. I traveled 1000 miles to purchase my 5th wheel and Heartland assisted me, as did my dealer, in getting warranty service when I needed it. There was one thing different that I see. I didn't cry or complain on the forum, I contacted my dealer and then Heartland Customer Service and got my problems resolved. Was it instantaneous? Sometimes and sometimes I had to wait. But the bottom line is that in the over three years that we have owned our Landmark, we have been happy with the coach and happy with our dealer and Heartland. Will I buy another Heartland product? In a minute, no reservations. These are my opinions and I don't promote them as anything other than my opinions.

John

tmcran

If you are refering to me I'm happy to provide you some amusement. However, like you I was only expressing my opinon as well.

Don if I were you i'd hook up to the trailer and take off to Montana where you are to work like you now nothing is wrong. When trailer comes loss and kills ???? people call HEARTLAND & LIPPERT and let them know there product had been involved in a wreak. When pin keep coming out of trail air pin box , I called and talk to manager and told him to send me a letter stating it was safe to pull trailer, told him his family is on same road that I am so be very very careful where they went, Trail Air put a new pin box on my mobile suite. Maybe you need to explain this to HEARTLAND it's only facts...... I know that you have flown planes and driven trucks as long as I've know you but I nate to hear someone be taken advantage of like this call Jerrry Beasley help you on this matter and when HEARTLAND & LIPPERT pay millions for there accident it would have been cheeper to have fixed you nice trailer before it is distroyed in an accident.... LIPPERT alway wants to blame someone else for there cutting corners for a dollar and if that is what it takes to make a dollar I will never be rich!!!!!!! You know I own a construction & trucking co.... and I would never leave someone like they are leaving you.... They will one day have to answer to someone higher!!!!!!!!!! They have to look at themselves in the mirror every morning, maybe they like what see, won day they might not.... ALLMIGHTY DOLLAR cut corners where ever you can..... That's LIPPERT..... Tate

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I think everyone needs to step back and take a breath here...

I do, however, find it very odd that we've not heard anything else from Don. People are making all kinds of assumptions instead of waiting to find out what is really happening with this situation...JMHO.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Update, I was contacted yesterday by the repair facility and told that the axles would be in today around 1:00 pm today. I expect the trailer to go in on Wednesday to start disassembly and repair. As soon as it is disassembled I will take pictures and send to Heartland but for now we have made arrangements to have it repaired and pay the bill and hope that somewhere down the line we will get some reimbursement for the expenses we have incurred. I am not able to continue sitting and waiting for approval to make repairs so we will have it repaired as is recommended and hope that we have a better unit in the end and one that this will not be a reoccurring problem on

Cyncwby

I won't even comment on Mr. Morgan's "opinion" but like I said before I think this is absolutely disgusting how both Heartland and Lippert have left these folks high and dry. My question to Goldenwingers.....who manufactures the new axles that are being installed and are they bigger in capacity than the ones you are replacing?

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
The Axles that have been ordered are from Dexter and yes they are heavier axles and heavier springs. The springs as I read the estimate are seven leaf springs with 4,000 lbs. weight limit.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Don...I just got off the phone with Mor Ryde...you can have Mor Ryde Independant Suspension installed on your rig for around $1,800, provided they use your existing brakes, etc. Since you already have disc brakes, maybe you could see if there is a shop near you that is certified for this installation. Sounds like it would be ALOT less expensive than just replacing your axles and springs, and would definitely be a MUCH better trailer afterwards. If interested contact Jack Enfield at Mor Ryde 574-293-1581.

As for the pinbox, in reality no one could expect any company to pay for repairs when they haven't even seen the damage yet. Hopefully after the front is opened, and pictures are sent to Heartland/Lippert, Don will be able to come to an agreeable conclusion with this unfortunate situation.

Until then, we need to stop assuming the worst and see how this turns out. Sometimes there's alot more going on than meets the eye...JMHO.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Well everyone take a break, The axles are here but the mobile RV Service that was to do the disassembly has his week planed out and will not be able to get started untill Monday. So I have five more beautifull says in Las Cruces NM. Kakampers I had Mor Ryde suspention on the trailer and the rubber is completely crushed. I am not sure what is the best thing to do but part of the problem is finding someone here to even do warranty work if in fact there is any warranty. Right now I have been here for 11 days and now it will be five more days before work can even start. I have to get this thing fixed and get back on the road to Montana. As soon as there is more news I will post it. Thanks to all

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Don
Above you said you had Mor/Ryde Suspension. If I have read correctly you have 2 axles that have the Mor/Ryde between the leaf springs where many of us have Trailair. I believe that KaKampers was referring to the Mor/Ryde Independent Suspension. It does not have Axles.

The 4000# springs you mentioned they would go to new axles which will be 8K?
I hope this gets resolved for you.
BC

Pulltab

I have just skimmed this thread but have to ask about the axles. You say they are bowed. To the best of my knowledge all axles for trailers are bowed to allow spring. Could you elaborate more on that situation? Are the axles undersize for your rig?

Kakampers is right, and I agree fully. Don't go burning bridges till the cap is opened up and an inspection is made. Their history of other repairs is irrelevant to this. It's like saying I have fixed many a cars and your bill is gonna be $3000 cause it is broke like the other cars! Comeon, get a real inspection before making accusations. We have found Lippert quite accomodating on any issues we had. I FULLY understand where the anger comes from but a lot of that was induced by this dealer you are working with.

Hi!!!! Don what have ya'll heard or found out??? Did they ever take the front cap off??? Hope to hear from you soon , GOOD LUCK.... Tate

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Well folks we got the new suspension under the trailer and and most of the problems seem to have corrected themselves including the cracks in the side walls that I don't believe have been mentioned yet. These cracks developed in the side walls as we pulled it to the repair shop to have the axles put under it. It looked awful and seemed as though the whole back end of the trailer was about to break off but to my surprise after the new suspension was installed the cracks in the wall closed up and the back end picked itself up and it looks straighter than it has in some time. I also have received a call from Heartland customer service and have been told to bring it to Elkhart and that Heartland would fix it. Well folks I am now in Elkhart and waiting to go in the shop tomorrow. I at one time I thought that it was not feasible to fix it but Gary in customer service assures me that there is nothing that they can not fix here where they build them so wish me luck and I will post the results after Heartland finishes the repair. Thanks to everyone for their concern and I will let everyone know the outcome soon.

Don Michael

Cyncwby

Well I'm glad to see that you're back on the road, if you're in Elkhart I guess you lost the Montana job. Have you found out if Heartland is going to help out financially on the new suspension?

Are they going to at least pay for your lodging while they fix your rig that was obviously caused by the inferior suspension that Lippert sold them? My hats off to you guys and I wish you the best of luck....Dave

lhetsler

Glad to see you are back on the road. Was there a problem with your pinbox then or was it just the suspension? I remember you said your pinbox was pointing up in the air a couple of inches.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Well I guess I am sort of back on the road at least enough to get to Elkhart and no Cynwby there has been no discussion about doing anything but fixing the trailer which at this point I am grateful for. This boat was about to sink and it looked as though I was going down with my ship. The Heartland warranty was already expired so I am glad to have any help I can get. It would have been nice to get reimbursement for what I had spent but since the warranty period has expired I don't want to upset the apple cart by being too demanding. If I can just get out of this and still be able to live our lifestyle I will be happy. As for the Position in Montana My wife and I split up about a week ago and she went to Montana while I continued to Elkhart and the Management is holding my position until I am able to get there, hopefully that will be soon as they will be running full speed in about ten days and it looks like closer to two weeks before I can make it there. I really hated to separate from my wife for this time but we thought we had to do something to be fair with management in Montana. It looks now as if I will go in the shop around the middle of next week and repairs will take about a week. I will post later how the fix has turned out.

Don