Stuck In Las Cruces

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Stuck in Las Cruces
It’s only Wednesday and already it’s been a long week! We left Van Horn, TX on Thursday and towed to Camping World in Anthony, TX for a Friday appointment to have the door side wheel bearings checked as well as the springs on the off door side (trailer was riding 3 3/4" low on the off door side). Got the wheel bearing replaced, but they suggested that we come to Las Cruces to J & J Muffler/Sun Valley Trailers to have the spring seen to and to have our axles aligned. No problem that was just 30 miles up the highway and one extra night on the road.
We pulled into Las Cruces KOA on Saturday, then on Sunday while I was outside taking a look at the trailer I found that the pin box appeared to be sinking into the nose of the trailer. Umm, that doesn’t look promising. On Monday morning I made a few calls trying to find someone who could assure me that the trailer was safe to tow. One of the calls was to Lippert as the trailer is less than two years old and the frame should still be under warranty. While I could find no one who could give me the aforementioned assurance, Dave at Lippert did authorize me to take it to J & J since there was no Landmark or Lippert dealer in Las Cruces. So mid-morning I towed it to J & J, who after a through inspection said that along with the pin box issue I also need two new axles (the old ones are bowed) and a whole new suspension system (the off side door springs have actually slightly bowed in the opposite direction and the Mor/Ryde system is crushed). They felt it was safe to tow around town, but not on the highway. The estimates to repair the suspension and the pin box (they won’t know the full extent there until the get the front cap off and the closet floor out) are currently over $6000.00.
Naturally I got back on the phone with Dave at Lippert who said that he could not authorize the repairs until it is all taken apart and he has been sent photos of the problems (we’ve already sent photos of what can be seen at this point). Now that leaves us between the proverbial rock and hard place. We understand that Dave has to see the proof. We also understand why J & J told us that they will not do warranty work, but will work for us and be paid by us (they’ve been stung in the past too many times on warranty work). In order to get the correct photos to Dave the trailer has to be torn down, and at that point it would be ridiculous not to continue the work. So I have given the go-ahead for the work to be done, to the tune of over $6000, in sincere hopes that Lippert will stand behind at least the majority of the work.
On the bright side... At least it didn’t come apart while we were rolling down the interstate. Still, here we sit in Las Cruces for the next 7 to 10 days while parts are ordered and the work is done. We were supposed to have been at our summer workamping position on May 1<SUP>st</SUP>, but will be delayed at least a week and along with the repairs costs we have additional living expenses and loss of income so our total is well above $7000 already.
Somebody please say something to make us smile!

tmcran

Humm how about a travel trailer . They seem to have fewer problems. At least that is what I have found. Now take the time you have and do some sight seeing. :)

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Got way too much money in this Landmark to think about trading it in on anything after only 21 months and six thousand miles of towing. We tried to find a trailer that we would be comfortable in for the rest of our years but maybe we we went too large. We are in our sixties and now working for less money than we have in many years, kind of a semi-retirement so trading now is out of the question but thanks for the comment.

Be VERY CAREFUL with lippert and get every thing in writing, Don with reading your letter reminds me of the mobile suite we had, lippert not wanting to fix anything on a brand new trailer. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted.
Tate

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Hi Tate, so very good to hear from you. Unfortunately most of the contacts to date have been by phone but maybe e-mail would be the way to go from here out. Both parties here that are involved in doing the work refuse to work for lippert as they have been burned before on warranty work. Bottom line is it has got to be repaired and we have got to get to Montana as soon as possible so I will have to take responsibility for the repairs and Hope for the best with lippert. I have confidence in the people that are doing the work and feel that it will be a better trailer in the end. I am very disappointed that all this has happened in only 6,000 miles. I will keep you posted how it goes.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
For those of you that are interested I received a call this morning from Heartland And they have taken an interest in what is going on here in Las Cruces. It is more relief than you can imagine to know that I am not alone in this. Thanks to this forum and the factory participation in it. Maybe we can get somewhere with this problem.

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
I received a call this morning from Heartland And they have taken an interest in what is going on here in Las Cruces.

It is GREAT to hear Heartland is stepping in to find out what is going on with your situation. We recently traded in our Keystone Everest because Keystone does not care about their customers when they have a serious problem. So, now we own a HEARTLAND RV and Keystone lost a sale on a new unit!:)

Niles

Sure makes you feel good when Heartland jumps in, reading others, makes you wonder sometimes. We've always been pleased with Heartland's and our dealer's willingness to fix what little problems we've had. Hope on this major issue they will make us proud.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Don & Sheri, I just now read your post. Wow, so sorry to hear of your troubles. As others have said, it's good to hear Heartland is watching. Good Luck with your situation and please keep us up to date. Take Care!

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Got a call from Heartland who informed me that Lippert had washed their hands of any responsibility in this matter. Seems that the trailer was manufactured in October of 2006 and at the time of manufacture Lippert warrantied their frame for two years from date of manufacture. Having bought the Landmark in July of 2007 has no bearing on the warranty which would run out in October of 2008. It was explained that this has since changed and the warranty now starts at the time of purchase and is in effect for two years from that date. Really made me feel better about Lippert (wrong). The costumer service rep at Heartland did tell me that he has not given up hope and would continue to work on this matter and I should keep him updated as the repairs continued.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well I do not care for Lippert's response on this. Seems like they are just looking to hide from it. Maybe there is more to the story there. I do however hope things work out for you Goldenwingers. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck,
Mark

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Creeper, if you are still reading this post it took a while but who could help but smile :) looking at that avatar of yours. Thanks for your attempt at a little humor especially since I know you have been going through some trials of your own. Hope all turns out well with your problems.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Well it looks like if we ever plan on getting out of New Mexico we have to do it on our own. Called the bank today and made arrangements to borrow the money to have the frame and axles repaired. The longer we wait the more we loose from loss of work.

caokgafamily

Your situation really upsets me. Why in the h-ll would you be having these problems on a 1 yr old Landmark? This is Heartlands top of the line 5th wheel. Have they took off your front cap ? What did they find ? I hope Heartland puts some pressure on Lippert or they step up to the plate. How many miles are on it ? We plan on a long trip this summer out West, I would hate to end up in your situation. I can except tire problems and other minor things but this is crazy !!!!

good luck, your in my thoughts and prayers.
Steve

Niles

I hope Heartland comes to the rescue, I agree with the above post that in the few months you've had this and with no more miles than you have, this is nuts!!! Goldwingers you have been very polite in your post. Hoping for the best!!!!

Hey Don & Sheri Stay After HEARTLAND if they want help you then they are no good to any of us owning a HEARTLAND LIPPERT didn't want to take any responsibility for the landing gears not working on our mobile suite the landing gears would not work from day one.... but TOM PECK with mobile suites made LIPPERT stand up to there bad product.... In witch LIPPERT burnt the bottom up replacing the landing gears and had to buy the trailer back 9 months later for totaling the trailer.... Make HEARTLAND stand up to them you have a 2 year warranty on the frame... You pull with a chevy 1 ton truck I pull with a 387 Peterbilt .. So what about my 3950 CYCLONE frame????? You are the one that got us to look a heartland, so if it wasn't for you they would not have sold me a 3950.... Keep the presure on HEARTLAND because if they want stand up for you then they ( HEARTLAND ) are not going to keep happy customers You bought your trailer from HEARTLAND so they need to help you.... GOOD LUCK and keep me posted Hate that you are having problems with your trailer and know that ya'll enjoyed your jobs you had last year..... Tate

tmcran

Man, I hope you guys get some relief very soon and Heartland puts some heat on Lippert to get this fixed. If not Heartland needs to step up big time. I can't think of any product that cost as much as your Landmark with as few miles not being covered for the things you are dealing with. If you are having these problems on a top of the line Heartland product then I wonder how my 2009 Sundance is going to hold up a year from now. I'm already dealing with a front slide leak that the dealer has been working on for 6-7 weeks out of the 2 1/2 months I have owened my RV ( very good dealer). I have sent emails and pictures to Heartland and have ask for a reply and as of yet no response. I suppose a call is in order after almost two weeks of unanswered emails. I will be posting an update in the next few days on my issue. Again good luck.

Last edited: