"Dry Weight" of Landmark exceeds listed axle (s) capacity--should I discuss with Heartland?

The quoted axle ( 2) rating on the sticker on my Landmark is 7,000 lbs each--yet the dry weight of my Landmark is the 14,100 LBS ( also on the sticker). Although I have not weighed my Landmark "loaded" I assume I am close to 15,000 lbs--which obviously exceeds the total axle capacity. Should I be concerned/contact my dealer/Heartland?

jimtoo

Hi Rharvey742,

You need to stop and think... some of the weight goes on the hitch. Normally about 20-25 percent of the gross weight of your 5er is on the fifth wheel hitch. So if your close to 15,000lbs ,, then aprox 3000# is on the hitch leaving only aprox 12,000 lbs on the axles.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
The above is true how ever how do you explain when the unit is off the TV and stationary? Now load it up and you are way over the axel rating. I undestand that this is an industry standard for axel rating and use but it boggles the mind. :confused:

danemayer

The above is true how ever how do you explain when the unit is off the TV and stationary? Now load it up and you are way over the axel rating. I undestand that this is an industry standard for axel rating and use but it boggles the mind. :confused:
When the unit is off the tow vehicle, the pin weight is on the front landing gear instead of on the hitch.

Try thinking about lifting something heavy by yourself, versus lifting it with help from a friend. Once the friend grabs hold, you're no longer carrying all the weight.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It's called weight distribution. Your 5er is a "teeter totter". If the axles were all the way to the rear of your trailer...that would be a different story. Then 1/2 the weight would be on the pin like a semi trailer. Short answer, what ever your pin weight is...it will either be on the hitch or front landing gear. It will never be all on the axles.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
You now that is why I like this forum. I fogot that when the unit is parked the landing gear takes the weight off the axels, DUH!

marvmarcy

My pin weight is at least 3,500#. Most of that is held in the cargo bays (big inverter, 4 big batteries, generator, and lots of heavy stuff. I pull out things I don't need to carry each fall before departing MT to keep from going over the 16,500# GVWR. That leaves me with 13,000 on the two 7,000# axles and 19,000# rated tires/wheels. I would feel better if I replaced the axles with 8,000# axles, but I watch suspension and bearings closely.

porthole

Retired
The quoted axle ( 2) rating on the sticker on my Landmark is 7,000 lbs each--yet the dry weight of my Landmark is the 14,100 LBS ( also on the sticker). Although I have not weighed my Landmark "loaded" I assume I am close to 15,000 lbs--which obviously exceeds the total axle capacity. Should I be concerned/contact my dealer/Heartland?

So are the Landmarks back to adding pin capacity to the GVW?

jbeletti

So are the Landmarks back to adding pin capacity to the GVW?

Duane - to my knowledge, no change has been made to the way we account for weight on our products. Rare is the time that we axle/spring our 5th wheels for the full GVWR of the coach "as a standard". Pin weight has always been factored into how we axle/spring the units.

This said, all LM 365 products come standard with 8k axles / springs and 17.5" tires / wheels. This is due to the GVWR increasing to 17.x k. So in the case of LM 365, pin weight is still factored into how we axle/spring LM 365.

Not sure if this helps answer your question. If not, please rephrase your question and I will try to get a better answer.