12V Outside Light w/Motion Sensors

ncc1701e

Doing a little research looking at outside lighting with motion sensors. I came across one brand, http://www.alpinesandtoys.com/servlet/the-1008/12-volt-rv-motorhome/Detail , and was wondering if anyone had changed to this or similar products. How well are the lights working for anyone who has changed out to this type of product?
Was the conversion difficult?

a20791c125d9056857f6c9_m.jpg

Tom

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tom, there are quite a few of us that have made this change to our trailers. It's an easy remove & replace operation. I had to drill a couple of new holes as the mounting pattern is a bit different than the OEM light. I have the optional (at the time) LED light in it. It was the best $89 I've spent. There are some vendors selling them at $70 with the LED included.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just bought and installed one. $70. Works good and I like it. Has the LED bulb.
A real easy install.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Where did you get yours for $70 with the LED bulb?

Went to an RV show here in South Texas. The same guy has a stand at the flea market.
Looked at them last year up north, don't remember the price but the LED was an option.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So, what are you replacing? The round scare lights or just the amber light over the door?

noobee

The conversion was easy. It is more a heat sensor than a motion sensor, thus it reacts quicker when it is cooler.

CS

Willym

Dave,

Would that be the RV place inside the DonWes flea market, or is it a stand outside the main building?

Went to an RV show here in South Texas. The same guy has a stand at the flea market.
Looked at them last year up north, don't remember the price but the LED was an option.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

Would that be the RV place inside the DonWes flea market, or is it a stand outside the main building?
Actually that place is across the road from DonWes. Go in the main gate at DonWes and go straight out the other end then cross the tracks and the road.
The fruit/flea market place.

Peace
Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
The conversion was easy. It is more a heat sensor than a motion sensor, thus it reacts quicker when it is cooler.

CS[/QUOTE
I would have to agree, hotter the outside temperarure is the less they work as a motion sensor. It will still work as the one you replace so is still functional,nice feature if it really worked as advertised, all the time.....Kenny

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

CS[/QUOTE
I would have to agree, hotter the outside temperarure is the less they work as a motion sensor. It will still work as the one you replace so is still functional,nice feature if it really worked as advertised, all the time.....Kenny
Not to disagree but while we were in southern CA for the winter and in Wisconsin last summer, I didn't notice any significant difference in the sensors ability to detect motion/heat or what ever it detects. In other words, it seems to work the same.