2008 Bighorn 3400rl possible frame failure near hitch?

markandrenita

We have been full timing in our 3400rl for six years and it has seen a lot of miles. While traveling from Rapid City to Wyoming I noticed that the driver side ,(actually about 2 feet back on the side from the cap), front of the cap had lifted up about 3/4 of an inch. Upon further inspection we discovered that a crack had appeared above the bedroom slide. It extends through the wall. Looking at the frame, what I can see lets me see nothing wrong with the frame. Perhaps its just age related or perhaps I have a frame problem so I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem . By the way when I unhitched the crack in the bedroom slide closed up tight and the one along the side also lessened considerably. Now being in Wyoming please don't write that I should see my local dealer as the closest one is 150 miles away. Good Sams told me to pull it myself as they could not do any better and their resources were limited. So an adjuster is coming out tomorrow and the reason for this long post is to just get ideas of things for me to look for to see if it is safe to pull. You can pm me as this is not a post for bashing but a post to figure things out. Clear skies, Mark and Renita B

danemayer

Hi Mark and Renita,

Let me suggest you take some pictures hitched and unhitched and call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Have your VIN # ready. The experts at Heartland should be able to give you a better idea of what you're dealing with and how to proceed.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
What Dan said...and have pictures, they will want to see the problem.

We pulled ours over 1300 miles in similar condition....Heartland will tell you if it's OK based on the pics...

wdk450

My RV repairer, RV Dr. George, acted as an advocate for me with Heartland service on this issue. I had taken initial pictures, then Heartland asked for more pictures, and we seemed to be getting nowhere. Dr. George, who completely repaired 1 unit with this problem at his shop, took pictures along with tape measure pictures of hitch highth measurements with the trailer on and off the truck.

I finally got accepted for repair at the factory the week of June 10th, but my frame flex was now so bad on my last RV outing that I was in some fear of towing from Northern California to Elkhart without incident. $1700 of temporary welding and bolting repairs (this bill also included new equalizers and a brake inspection/adjustment) now makes me confident enough to tow 2000 miles for the big repair.