24RBS and 22 FBS loaded tongue weight

rostam

Hi all,

I have a question regarding 24RBS and 22 FBS loaded tongue weights and I greatly appreciate your response.

I know the dry hitch weights for these trailers are listed as 352 and 325 lbs. I was just wondering what the hitch weights are when the trailers are loaded? Which options increase the hitch weight? Also, are you using a WD hitch? If so is the weight of the WD hitch need to be considered as well? (Sorry, but I am new to RV'ing and may be asking a dumb question here!).

Thanks a lot!

danemayer

Hi Rostam,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We were all newbies at one point, so hang in there. You'll find a lot of useful information here along with a great group of people who are willing to share what they've learned.

I'm sure you'll get some responses pretty quickly.

Manzan

Rostam, the hitch weight should be about 12% of your loaded weight and yes, you should be using a WD hitch and sway control. The only way the weight of the WD hitch could come into play is if you are nearing the rear axle limit on your TV in which case you need a TV with greater towing capacity. Your best bet on getting weights is to take your trailer to a CAT scale. About $10 and well worth it! Lets you know where you are with the GVWR on the trailer also.

rostam

Thanks you all.

I have not bought the trailer yet. I am researching different trailers and one important aspect for me is the tongue weight of the trailer -- I don't want to exceed my vehicle's limit. Hopefully, someone who owns the trailer would provide a figure.

Best

Manzan

Rostam, look at the GVWR of the trailer and figure about 12%-13% of that will be your maximum tongue weight. If your tow vehicle is rated to tow what the GVWR is, you should not have a problem. If not, consider a smaller trailer or bigger TV.

rostam

Rostam, look at the GVWR of the trailer and figure about 12%-13% of that will be your maximum tongue weight. If your tow vehicle is rated to tow what the GVWR is, you should not have a problem. If not, consider a smaller trailer or bigger TV.

Thanks Manzan!
I appreciate your response.

ZNK

Thanks you all.

I have not bought the trailer yet. I am researching different trailers and one important aspect for me is the tongue weight of the trailer -- I don't want to exceed my vehicle's limit. Hopefully, someone who owns the trailer would provide a figure.

Best

Rostam,

What kind of vehicle do you have for a TV (tow vehicle)?

Saildogs

We have a 24RBS and tow with an F 150 super crew. Previous tow vehicle was a Ford Expedition. That was not a pleasant towing experience due to the short wheelbase. You need to consider the wheel base of your tow vehicle in addition to tongue weight.

rostam

We have a 24RBS and tow with an F 150 super crew. Previous tow vehicle was a Ford Expedition. That was not a pleasant towing experience due to the short wheelbase. You need to consider the wheel base of your tow vehicle in addition to tongue weight.

You are right. I have been researching that as well. The GL's wheelbase is 121 inch. But due to its weight and the built in sway control it seems a 28 ft trailer is fine (Others have been towing 27 and even 30 ft airstream trailers with no problems). I need to test drive to confirm though.

Just wondering, what is the loaded hitch weight of your trailer? Is it under 600#? Thanks!

Saildogs

We have never weighed the trailer or the tongue weight so have no idea. Sorry we can't answer this for you.

ZNK

I am not a fan of towing trailers with an SUV. It may say it can handle it but I highly doubt the ride will be enjoyable at all. I have a 29BUDS...its much bigger than what you are looking for and did not enjoy pulling the trailer with our old F150.

Can your TV handle the trailer...probably. Is it the safest TV? In my opinion no. But you will have to figure that one out on your own. There have been many heated debates on here about TV's. Just understand that it is easy to add a lot of extra weight to the trailer and a 7500# max would be easy to max out very quickly.

rostam

I am not a fan of towing trailers with an SUV. It may say it can handle it but I highly doubt the ride will be enjoyable at all. I have a 29BUDS...its much bigger than what you are looking for and did not enjoy pulling the trailer with our old F150.

Can your TV handle the trailer...probably. Is it the safest TV? In my opinion no. But you will have to figure that one out on your own. There have been many heated debates on here about TV's. Just understand that it is easy to add a lot of extra weight to the trailer and a 7500# max would be easy to max out very quickly.

I agree, safety should be the number 1 consideration. I am actually researching smaller/lighter trailers now.