50 amp to 30 amp pigtail

thmehr

Its make just like explained above in the last post. Just put a jumper wire between the black and red wires.Thats the way the yellow adapter at the start of this thread is made. Thats where I got the 50amp plug to make my cords.

HI, this is what I have. I have a generator with a 3 prong twist lock plug in. I have both a 30 amp and a 50 amp and want to use the 50 amp plug. Yes, it is a big commercial generator. Both plug in's have 250 volts. I want to split this power to two 30 amp rv style 125 volt receptacles so I can plug in two rv's. 25 amps for each rv should be plenty of power. I have looked for a pigtail or adaptor plug and I can not find one. So, I think I have to wire one myself. So, both plugs do not have a ground, only a neutral. I was think of taking the black wire for one rv receptacle and the red wire to the other receptacle. The neutral wire, I would have to make a pigtail to hook both receptacles to the one neutral wire coming from the 50 amp plug. Is this safe and will it work?
Thanks
Ted

rick_debbie_gallant

HI, this is what I have. I have a generator with a 3 prong twist lock plug in. I have both a 30 amp and a 50 amp and want to use the 50 amp plug. Yes, it is a big commercial generator. Both plug in's have 250 volts. I want to split this power to two 30 amp rv style 125 volt receptacles so I can plug in two rv's. 25 amps for each rv should be plenty of power. I have looked for a pigtail or adaptor plug and I can not find one. So, I think I have to wire one myself. So, both plugs do not have a ground, only a neutral. I was think of taking the black wire for one rv receptacle and the red wire to the other receptacle. The neutral wire, I would have to make a pigtail to hook both receptacles to the one neutral wire coming from the 50 amp plug. Is this safe and will it work?
Thanks
Ted

What about something like this. http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Searc...&sort=13&search=amp buddy box &show=25&page=1

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

I was thinking the same product. However, both 50 amp outlets are supposedly still 250 volt each. A bit of testing may help determine if the wiring is the same on each outlet or if one of the outlets is swapped. If not an adapter would be necessary to convert to the 30 amp plug. A custom adapter may be necessary so that each 120v line would be dedicated to only one of the outlets.

Swinborn

CAUTION!! I believe both of your generator plugs probably have only two "hot" wires and a ground. RV 50A plugs use two hot wires, a "shared" neutral, and a ground, and 30A RV plugs use one hot wire, a neutral, and a ground.

The RV 50A circuits are actually 240vac between the hot wires, and they are split in the RV into two 50A 120vac circuits that share the common neutral which handles the imbalance of the load, which is the beauty of using a "common neutral". I don't know how your generator is configured, but you will definitely need a "neutral" wire for either the 30 or 50. You should get someone involved at your end that knows electricity well to determine if your generator will work for this. I would advise against the 50A splitter that was shown on one of the replies as it also requires a "neutral" leg, and is probably a different configuration from the 50A plug on the generator.