Banks Exhaust Brake

timbuktu

My quest for a new truck has been put on hold for a little while since the wife and I are expecting our first kiddo in a few months. So I'm back to finding some fun improvements for my '06 F-350 6.0L PS. I'm interested in buying a Banks Exhaust Brake. I already have the IQ Six-Gun System and the Exhaust Brake is simply a plug and play into the IQ System. Just curious if anyone out there in Heartland Forumland has this set up? Thoughts? Thanks!

Here's the link: http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/

Tim

brianharrison

I have been contemplating this add on to my 6.4L Ford. A friend has it on his Duramax and recommends it. I'll be watching other replys to your thread.

Take care,
Brian

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you talking Speed Brake, which is plug and play, or Exhaust Brake?
I have the Speed Brake on my Duramax and love it. It really does slow you down.

Peace
Dave

Birchwood

I don't believe in add ons as it may put stress on other components of your vehicle.
My GMC has an Allison transmission with grade braking and it works exceptional.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Stay away from BANKS!!!! There are too many out there that beat what they have hands down!~!!!!! Banks is a JOKE!!!!!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Birchwood.....you are absolutely CORRECT!!!!!!! ANYTHING you put on AFTER puts amazing stress on somthing else.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
simply put, WHY would you want a speed brake (jake)????? Such a stupid thing UNLESS YOU ARE PULLING 100,000 lbs or more. I think all of you simply have no idea!@!!!!!

Appearantly you have no idea. The Banks Speed Brake is a TURBO BRAKE. It works by closing the vanes on a variable geometry turbo. It is nothing like a Jake Brake, which controls opening and closing of intake and exhaust valves. Or an exhaust brake which uses a butterfly valve in the exhaust to create backpressure on the engine. They are 3 totally different systems.
As for why you would want one, it helps save the brakes on both the tow vehicle and the towed rig. very usefull in the mountains. Not heating up the service brakes by using the speed brake, exhaust brake, or a jake brake can save your butt.

To the OP, I dont have the Banks Speed Brake. But I do have a turbo brake thru EFI Live tuning on one of our Duramaxes. It works great.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I don't have the banks either but the first thing I did on my 01 Dodge was add the Jacobs e-brake, been using it for 10 years and 123,000 miles would not haul a load around here without it. I replaced my first set of brake pads on the front at just under 90,000 miles, back ones are still original. I have had zero issues with the engine or exhaust.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 2006 6.0 F250 and found this company in Houston TX. Powerstroke Magic

There are only about 6 people working at this company and they work on all Ford Diesels. I got a set of electronic gauges in my F250. While there I asked them about Bully Dog and Banks. They gave me many reasons for not using them. You might call them and ask Phillip for information. They are real friendly and if you get down to Houston you might look them up. They may know of someone in CA that you go to for help with your 06.

FWIW
BC

brianharrison

Timbuktu,

I'll followup with my friend who has the Exhaust Brake added into his IQ. I'll post his feedback. Its a duramax but the principles are the same (vane adjustments for the turbo).

Take care,
Brian

timbuktu

@ Cookie, sorry for the late reply, but yes, it's the speed brake. I already have the IQ system and the speed brake just plugs right into it.
@ brianharrison, please let me know what you find out. Thanks!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
@ Cookie, sorry for the late reply, but yes, it's the speed brake. I already have the IQ system and the speed brake just plugs right into it.
@ brianharrison, please let me know what you find out. Thanks!

Disregard some previous posts about Banks in general, IMHO.
Gale Banks is the guru of aftermarket diesel. PLUS, in California, most of his products are CARB approved, except where noted for off road use only.
I have had a "Banksbrake" for 3 years and love it. It is a Jacob's type brake behind the turbo. I have had no problems whatsoever. Best addition I made to my TV. The Speedbrake serves a similar purpose, on some vehicles I am told.
Holds back a heavy load with very little braking. Really saves the brakes, all around. Fewer white knuckle rides.
Call Chuck at Banks. He can tell you what is best for your application.
Trace

branson4020

Icantre Member
Disregard some previous posts about Banks in general, IMHO.
Gale Banks is the guru of aftermarket diesel. PLUS, in California, most of his products are CARB approved, except where noted for off road use only.
I have had a "Banksbrake" for 3 years and love it. It is a Jacob's type brake behind the turbo. I have had no problems whatsoever. Best addition I made to my TV. The Speedbrake serves a similar purpose, on some vehicles I am told.
Holds back a heavy load with very little braking. Really saves the brakes, all around. Fewer white knuckle rides.
Trace

Is it really a "Jacob's type" (compression release) brake. I thought the Banksbrake was an exhaust brake.

porthole

Retired
Banks Speed Brake is the "whiz bang all electronic unit that controls the trans and turbo vanes.
Banks Brake is the exhaust mounted "butterfly" type brake. It is not a "Jacobs or Jake brake.

timbuktu

Trace

I talked to Chuck a couple of weeks ago. For my 06 F350 PS, the Speedbrake is the only application available. I think before we buy our next 5er and head to the East Coast, I'll get it. Thanks y'all!

branson4020

Icantre Member
Banks Speed Brake is the "whiz bang all electronic unit that controls the trans and turbo vanes.
Banks Brake is the exhaust mounted "butterfly" type brake. It is not a "Jacobs or Jake brake.

That's what I thought Duane. I don't imagine a "Jake brake" is even an option for a pick-up. It would require serious mechanical modification of the valve train.