Batteries Not Charging

Jim_Hull

I am needing some help again with my Big Country 4010 RD. This trip has been very challenging to say the least. My original Group 27 batteries drained while at the dealer for some warranty work. During the 2 hour drive home I assume they charged, but by yesterday morning they were drained again and the alarm was sounding on the inverter. I was packing to leave, so I hooked the truck up and let it run for an hour with no change in the batteries. So, I went to Walmart and bought 2 new Group 29 deep cycle batteries and installed them. I ran all day yesterday without problem and plugged in to shore power last night at the camp ground. When I unhooked from shore power this morning the alarm immediately started to sound again, telling me the brand new batteries were low. The LED on the inventor showed 11.4 volts. They stayed that way all day as I moved to my current location.

My unit has a residential fridge that needs the batteries when we are not hooked to shore power. I cannot figure out why the batteries are not charging either on shore power or while hooked to the truck. Any ideas of things to check? Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance.

danemayer

Jim,

The batteries are not getting a charge from the Power Converter when on shore power. This is most commonly due to a tripped 50 Amp 12V mini-circuit breaker on the buss bar near the batteries. There's a row of these small breakers, usually covered by a red rubber boot. One of the breakers has a teeny-tiny reset button (see picture below).

If you have a meter, while plugged into shore power, take a voltage reading at the batteries. If the power from the Converter is getting through, you should read 13.6V DC. If you're below 12V and press the reset button, see if voltage immediately jumps to 13.6.

Other possible causes are a tripped 120V AC circuit breaker in the main breaker panel inside. The Power Converter gets 120V AC from one of the circuit breakers.

It's also possible that the plug for the Power Converter has vibrated out of it's outlet. The converter is located behind the rear wall of the pass-through basement storage.

The Power Converter also has a couple of fuses to protect the circuit from reverse polarity caused by installing battery cables to the wrong terminals.

If it's not the reset button, you might find it helpful to follow the diagnostic flow chart in our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide. Also, the diagram in the Residential Refrigerator Guide is a much closer representation of your 12V system.

Attachments

• circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Power Convert and Transfer Switch.jpg
    Power Convert and Transfer Switch.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 44

Oregon_Camper

Let's start with the reset switch for the 12v supply from inverter to your batteries.

See post 3 on this link
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/59387-NO-power-to-camper?highlight=battery+reset

Did you check your circuit breaker box to ensure the inverter's fuse is not switched off? Hard to really see it when it is popped...it only move about 1/8th of an inch.

If that doesn't work, might have to take the wall off on the basement to access the inverter. Some have been known to come unplugged.

BTW....it would take a LONG time to fully charge your battery from the 1-2 amps coming from the truck while connected.

Do you have an amp meter? If you do, check the voltage on the bus (link above) when plugged in...it should be 14.4 ish. Anything lower than that while plugged in and you're not getting power to the batteries.

Jim_Hull

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will check everything out in the morning. I am on shore power and parked for 6 days, so I will be fine until then. I will let you know what I find. This is not the only electrical gremlin I have, but I will post the other in the 110v section.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, where are the fuses on the inverter?

Jim_Hull

This is my set up. It is located in the front compartment just above the batteries. Is there something else behind the wall?

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 40

Jim_Hull

So, I have 10.6 volts at each of the two batteries. I have 10.5 amps at the inventor pictured above. I have pushed the little reset button with no results, and I cannot for the life of me find any fuses on or in-line with the invertor pictured above. Does the invertor have to be on for the batteries to charge?

danemayer

So, I have 10.6 volts at each of the two batteries. I have 10.5 amps at the inventor pictured above. I have pushed the little reset button with no results, and I cannot for the life of me find any fuses on or in-line with the invertor pictured above. Does the invertor have to be on for the batteries to charge?

Your picture is of the inverter that converts 12V DC from the batteries to 120V AC to power the refrigerator.

You want the Power Converter, which converts 120V AC to 12V DC to power the lights, furnace, water heater, and charge the batteries. It's behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage. Picture attached - although your water heater could be on the other side of the coach.

Attachments

• Power Converter notated.jpg
    Power Converter notated.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 44

Jim_Hull

Dan, thank you. I removed the basement wall and got to the converter. All 3 30 amp fuses were blown. I put new ones in and it took off again. I am not sure why they blew, but I am hopeful the problem is resolved. Thanks to everyone for your help. This forum rocks.

danemayer

The fuses on the converter protect it from reverse polarity due to connecting the battery cable incorrectly.

Jim_Hull

Dan,

That explains it. I inadvertently reversed the cables on the first battery as I was putting the new ones in. I was in too much of a hurry and not paying enough attention. I should have turned the switch off to isolate the batteries. Once again, being in a hurry comes back to bite me. I hope it is fixed.

Oregon_Camper

Dan,

That explains it. I inadvertently reversed the cables on the first battery as I was putting the new ones in. I was in too much of a hurry and not paying enough attention. I should have turned the switch off to isolate the batteries. Once again, being in a hurry comes back to bite me. I hope it is fixed.

We've all "been there...done that"...so nothing to worry about. Just pass along the info to the next person. (...but good luck beating Dan...dude is CRAZY fast on this place)