Bedroom AC

Jajjaaj

I need to replace the bedroom AC in my 2009 Bighorn 3670rl. It's different than the one in the living room and has, what I believe, it's own thermostat separate from the living room thermostat, but it doesn't seem to have any control over it. The unit just comes on at odd times and it has knobs on it that control full fan and cooling, so not really sure what the extra thermostat is used for. I'm also not sure what replacement AC I should purchase. Do I need to find something similar or do I have choices?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you are not the original owner of your rig the AC may have been replaced once already. Or a Fantastic Vent was replaced by an AC.
Some AC units are controlled by a wall thermostat, remote, or the controls are on the unit itself.
Can you post a pic of the thermostat and the AC?
The Fantastic Vent that Jon mentioned is simply a vent fan that can be controlled by a thermostat.

Peace
Dave

Jajjaaj

If you are not the original owner of your rig the AC may have been replaced once already. Or a Fantastic Vent was replaced by an AC.
Some AC units are controlled by a wall thermostat, remote, or the controls are on the unit itself.
Can you post a pic of the thermostat and the AC?
The Fantastic Vent that Jon mentioned is simply a vent fan that can be controlled by a thermostat.

Peace
Dave
The first photo is the bedroom AC that needs to be replaced. The second pic is of the two thermostats. Bottom thermostat is for the living room. The top one is the one I have no idea what it goes to or if it has anything to do with the bedroom AC.

Attachments

• B5817A12-DD93-4E98-8E5A-C40862D8F13F.jpeg
    B5817A12-DD93-4E98-8E5A-C40862D8F13F.jpeg
    639.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 690770C1-09FD-4785-8B88-C421D8D2D53D.jpeg
    690770C1-09FD-4785-8B88-C421D8D2D53D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24

wdk450

Your first photo is of an inside controls/air intake/air outlet for a non ducted Dometic (I think) air conditioning unit. The second photo shows a thermostat for a Fantastic Fan vent fan on top and for an air conditioning unit on the bottom ( note the snowflake and "mode" icons on the display. Are there any manufacturer names/markings on the brown inside control unit? You may have to go up on your roof, remove the bedroom air conditioner cover shroud (4 phillips head screws) and look for equipment tags with name, model, and maybe serial number (take your cellphone camera to the roof with you to easily record this data. It is an option for the non-ducted air conditioning units to have a thermostat as you have shown. You may need to have a mobile RV servicer come out and help you verify this info, and advise you. Check RVServiceReviews.com for a servicer near you, or do an internet search for one.

BTW, the Fantastic fan WAS in the roof vent cutout that thew air conditioner now occupies. That thermostat is left over from pre-air conditioner times in your RV, and shouldn't control anything.

Jajjaaj

Your first photo is of an inside controls/air intake/air outlet for a non ducted Dometic (I think) air conditioning unit. The second photo shows a thermostat for a Fantastic Fan vent fan on top and for an air conditioning unit on the bottom ( note the snowflake and "mode" icons on the display. Are there any manufacturer names/markings on the brown inside control unit? You may have to go up on your roof, remove the bedroom air conditioner cover shroud (4 phillips head screws) and look for equipment tags with name, model, and maybe serial number (take your cellphone camera to the roof with you to easily record this data. It is an option for the non-ducted air conditioning units to have a thermostat as you have shown. You may need to have a mobile RV servicer come out and help you verify this info, and advise you. Check RVServiceReviews.com for a servicer near you, or do an internet search for one.

BTW, the Fantastic fan WAS in the roof vent cutout that thew air conditioner now occupies. That thermostat is left over from pre-air conditioner times in your RV, and shouldn't control anything.
I looked up fantastic fan, and there is one in the kitchen over the island. I'll have to check to see if the two are connected. I did turn that fan off because it would open, close and turn on without notice. New thing to learn. LOL

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you need to replace the bedroom AC, just get a mobile tech out to replace it.
It's not a big job, I've done two so your tech should have no problem.
The controls are on the unit so it will require only 120 volt wiring.
But I do have a question. Has that AC ever worked for you?
Leading to my next question, are you sure you are operating correctly?

Peace
Dave

Jajjaaj

If you need to replace the bedroom AC, just get a mobile tech out to replace it.
It's not a big job, I've done two so your tech should have no problem.
The controls are on the unit so it will require only 120 volt wiring.
But I do have a question. Has that AC ever worked for you?
Leading to my next question, are you sure you are operating correctly?

Peace
Dave
In the last 6 months I've had 3 techs tell me it probably should be replaced soon due to many factors, but keep it going a little longer. Unfortunately, there is only 1 tech here for a hundred miles, and he wants $1,000 to show up and install, and that doesn't include the cost of the AC. I won't be closer to civilization for another 2 months, and can't wait that long as I'm in West Texas. Based on what I have learned from others that have changed them out, it's not that difficult and doesn't take long to install. Getting a second person to help, but need to order it first.

wdk450

You REALLY NEED to get the make/model of what you have installed. As I suggested before a trip to the roof, remove the cover (4 screws) should reveal the marking tags. I know its hot, so do it at first light in the morning.
Tweetys RV Parts has free shipping (saves a lot with something heavy like an AC unit) and good prices, and has telephone advisors to help you, 800-358-5894.
Lots of helpful videos on RV repair subjects (including this one) on You Tube.