Bighorn #3385 "King of the Mountain" 4 season-winter package

BatPack

Hi, I have never had a camper before and I plan on living in a 5th wheel for the winter in MT so I check all the campers I look at to make sure they have the winter package. They usually have the sticker on the side of the trailer by the handrail saying that they have it. The Cougar I am looking at says it has the Polar Pkg. why doesn't the Bighorn have it on the side. I have seen the papers saying it has an enclosed heated underbelly but it doesn't specify that it is a 4 season or has a winter pkg. Is there a way to tell for sure that it does have this?:confused: The one I am looking at is a 2009 Bighorn #3385 with the "King of the Mountain" package. How good is this one for a MT winter?

Thanks,

Lindsay

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi Batpack,

Heartland typically applies a sticker near the door that says something like "Comfort Tested to 0 Degrees", but I don't know when they started that.

However, marketing statements such as "Four Season", "Polar", "Comfort Tested" and other similar claims don't tell you everything you need to know. They usually are referring to the capability to keep the living area temperature near 70 (F) in cold weather.

But how cold? In Florida, a 4 season trailer might occasionally see an overnight low of 28 (F) - so a "Four Season" trailer for Florida is easy. In Ohio, the trailer might have to survive 15-20 (F) - a bit harder, but still fairly easy. But in Montana, you might see -30 (F) or lower. That's way different.

And those marketing claims tell you nothing about keeping the water running in sub-freezing weather. Sub-zero weather? I doubt there's any manufacturer who would guarantee anything below zero.

For Montana temps, any trailer you get will need heated holding tanks and heated water lines. And you may need to skirt at least part of the area under the trailer to protect the holding tank dump valves. Those things are a start toward keeping the water running in weather down to -20 or -30 (F). There's more.

Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

BatPack

Hi Batpack,

Heartland typically applies a sticker near the door that says something like "Comfort Tested to 0 Degrees", but I don't know when they started that.

However, marketing statements such as "Four Season", "Polar", "Comfort Tested" and other similar claims don't tell you everything you need to know. They usually are referring to the capability to keep the living area temperature near 70 (F) in cold weather.

But how cold? In Florida, a 4 season trailer might occasionally see an overnight low of 28 (F) - so a "Four Season" trailer for Florida is easy. In Ohio, the trailer might have to survive 15-20 (F) - a bit harder, but still fairly easy. But in Montana, you might see -30 (F) or lower. That's way different.

And those marketing claims tell you nothing about keeping the water running in sub-freezing weather. Sub-zero weather? I doubt there's any manufacturer who would guarantee anything below zero.

For Montana temps, any trailer you get will need heated holding tanks and heated water lines. And you may need to skirt at least part of the area under the trailer to protect the holding tank dump valves. Those things are a start toward keeping the water running in weather down to -20 or -30 (F). There's more.

Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

Thank you!!!!;)That is very helpful !!!!

sengli

All of the brands have their marketing catch phrase. We have camped when it is colder, we dont use ours in the winter though. These are not stick and bricks houses. You will need a lot of propane to keep these rigs comfortable in the climate you are speaking of. Slide seals and windy conditions are a recipe for pretty brutal cold. Aluminum framed RV windows allow for heat transfer easily.