Charging RV batteries with Tow Vehicle

Big-B

I have a shunt in my system that shows how much current is either going in or out of the batteries. On my GMC duramax it shows about 6 amps going into the batteries with the truck idling. That is enough to maintain the batteries but not enough to replace what we use when we are parked and camping. I didn't have to do anything to the truck or camper to get this charge rate. Just plug it in to the truck.

The truck is probably putting more than 6 amps into the system but only 6 amps after the camper uses what it needs to run things like the CO2 detector and the refrigerator controls. (refrigerator is on LP when we travel)

kairos44

New at all this and my trailer is sitting at the end of the road culdesac. Batteries went down and can't open slideouts. What is the best way to get charge to the batteries?
Wayne Duke
Trussville, Al
3970rd Bighorn
Ram 2500 4x4 turbo diesel
Anderson Ultimate Hitch

danemayer

New at all this and my trailer is sitting at the end of the road culdesac. Batteries went down and can't open slideouts. What is the best way to get charge to the batteries?
Wayne Duke
Trussville, Al
3970rd Bighorn
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
If you can reach with an extension cord, use a battery charger to recharge the battery, or use an adapter to plug the shore power cord into the powered extension cord.

If you can't reach a power source, connect the trailer's umbilical cord to the truck and run the truck's engine. It's a slow way to recharge the battery, but in 30-60 minutes you should have enough power to operate the slides; maybe less.

Last edited:

kairos44

Wayne Duke
Trussville, Al
3970rd Bighorn
Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Thank you