Colorado trip

kickinbar

Need your suggestions.. Have a 3210 toy hauler and plan on going from the Tucson AZ area to Silverton CO for a family get together. I plan on going I10 to I25 up to Albuquerque but after that I have no idea what the best route would be... Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks much.

danemayer

If you stop in Santa Fe instead, you can take 84 north to Pagosa Springs. Then 160 west to Durango, and 550 north to Silverton.

brianlajoie

I have taken 550 from Santa Fe to Durango. Nice and easy highway until you hit Colorado and then is goes down to 2 lanes. Not much of a problem though.

coram8

We took that route last year. I-25 to Just on the north side of Albuquerque, then 550 to Durango. We stayed just outside Durango, so we didn't pull the trailer to Silverton. Had no problems at all with our 41' Gateway taking that route. We loved that area and had a blast spending a week exploring Silverton, Ouray, Pagosa Springs, and Durango.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We second the 550 route to Durango. We go that way from Texas. It does get narrower in Colorado but is not too bad. Now the route from Durango to Silverton is over a Molas Pass at 10,910ft. and it is pretty dramatic with some steep grades and hairpin curves. Have not towed it, but is a good road, just have to be very careful. You might consider staying in Durango and taking the truck over to Silverton for events? Or, stay overnight in Durango and start over the pass when you are fresh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ducky

Why not consider going North on I-17 to Flagstaff, then north on 89 then east on 160 into Colorado. Traveled this road previously and is good. Also saves you about 100 miles.

brianlajoie

We second the 550 route to Durango. We go that way from Texas. It does get narrower in Colorado but is not too bad. Now the route from Durango to Silverton is over a Molas Pass at 10,910ft. and it is pretty dramatic with some steep grades and hairpin curves. Have not towed it, but is a good road, just have to be very careful. You might consider staying in Durango and taking the truck over to Silverton for events? Or, stay overnight in Durango and start over the pass when you are fresh?

Actually you will go over both Molas pass and Coal Bank pass (10,640ft) to get to Silverton. If you take nice and easy, you would not have any problems. You will like the scenery. If a hot day, watch your temps. These two passes are nothing compared to Red Mountain to Ouray though. I went over all three passes two years ago.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Actually you will go over both Molas pass and Coal Bank pass (10,640ft) to get to Silverton. If you take nice and easy, you would have any problems. You will like the scenery. If a hot day, watch your temps. These two passes are nothing compared to Red Mountain to Ouray though. I went over all three passes two years ago.

Yes sorry, I could not remember exactly. I know it is beautiful scenery!!!

kf5qby

If you don't want to pull the passes going from Durango to Silverton, checkout this RV resort. I stayed in one of their cabins for a week a couple of years ago before I purchased my trailer. Nice place that is off the highway next to the Animas River. I really enjoyed staying there.

http://www.durangoriversideresort.com/

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I pulled our old Coachman TT over Molas Pass a few years back with my old Dodge 1500 and I didn't think it was so bad.

Took this from the top of Molas Pass that day:

MolasPassSummit-IMGP1429.jpg

The one I don't like is Wolf Creek Pass, which we'll be going over twice this September going to the Fall Colorado HOC Rally at Mesa Verde/Mancos.

TravelTiger

We like staying at Durango Riverside Resort, just north of Durango. Right on the Animas river. Sites are a little close, but not as close as the other rv parks in town.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We like staying at Durango Riverside Resort, just north of Durango. Right on the Animas river. Sites are a little close, but not as close as the other rv parks in town.

We stayed at the Durango KOA for three nights when we were there.

Nice place with lots of shade and roomy campsites!