Dinnette Chairs

BigGuy82

Heartland makes a big deal out of using Amish craftsmen to do the woodwork on their Bighorn coaches. The Amish have a well deserved reputation for making quality furniture and the overall wood work in my coach is excellent, easily living up to the advertising. Then there's the dinette chairs.

I don't know if the Amish craftsmen made the chairs also, but if they did, the work was done by a very young apprentice. The chair was a little wobbly, so I fuigured loose screws, which it was. When I went to repair the chair, I noticed very loose joints and glue that broke apart because only the tiniest of drops was used. The seat lid hinge was also sloppily secured. Once disassembled, I screwed and thoroughly glued all joints, reassembled the chair, insuring all factory screws were tight, and properly aligned and rescrewed the lid hinge.

This is no big deal but I mention it because you may wish to check your chairs befor someone takes a tumble due to a leg coming off (which could have happened on this chair). Also, it does seem a shame to invest in all of that nice wood work and follow it up by providing poorly built chairs.

SNOKING

Poorly built? I am more concern about how uncomfortable they are. I am going to try one of the folding ones again, as I believe that they are more comfortable. If so, may just order two more of them. FWTW our 2005 SOB had pretty much the same chairs. Chris

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We gave ours away and replaced them with real Michigan Amish made ones. Only need the two most of the time and we have two good folding chairs for guests.

The "tablecloth" is moveable. Photo is prior to replacing Day/Night shades with vertical blinds.

Attachments

• New Chairs.jpg
    New Chairs.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 37
  • New Folding Chair.jpg
    New Folding Chair.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 33

BigGuy82

Poorly built? I am more concern about how uncomfortable they are. I am going to try one of the folding ones again, as I believe that they are more comfortable. If so, may just order two more of them. FWTW our 2005 SOB had pretty much the same chairs. Chris

That too. BUT - the vibrating reclining rockers are sinfully comfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

We gave ours away and replaced them with real Michigan Amish made ones. Only need the two most of the time and we have two good folding chairs for guests.

The "tablecloth" is moveable. Photo is prior to replacing Day/Night shades with vertical blinds.

GREAT idea - better built and likely more comfortable. The Amish in our part of the world (upstate NY) are also renowned furniture craftsmen.

GregP

We have had no issues with the dinette chairs, but it is not unusual for wood furniture to loosen up with changes in humidity and climate. Usually not a difficult fix for wooden furniture, even in the home. Like SNOKING, we used our folding dinette chairs for the first time in almost two years and found them more comfortable than the non-folding ones. I was going to get rid of the folders because we never used them...but now I think we will keep them.

SNOKING

We have had no issues with the dinette chairs, but it is not unusual for wood furniture to loosen up with changes in humidity and climate. Usually not a difficult fix for wooden furniture, even in the home. Like SNOKING, we used our folding dinette chairs for the first time in almost two years and found them more comfortable than the non-folding ones. I was going to get rid of the folders because we never used them...but now I think we will keep them.

DW handed me one of the folding chairs as she was making the bed this morning. Much better as I type this at the dinner room table. Chris

BigGuy82

The coach is only 3 months out of the factory - not a lot of climate going on. The loose screws weren't the problem. All of the joints that were glued fit loosely and had a tiny drop of glue to supposedly hold them in place. Aliphatic resin glue (like Elmer's or Gorilla) are dirt cheap, so why scrimp?. A glued joint should not loosen with climate. Also, the seat lid was cockeyed. I also forgot to mention that the fiberboard bottom of the chair had 4 staples (out of 12) that completely missed the wood they were supposed to secure to. So this is not the result of climate changes - it's just poor workmanship. I've done some limited cabinetry construction and I do better work than whoever did these chairs. The good news is that since I repaired them, they will likely last.

I like JohnDar's idea - buy some solid Amish chairs that will last forever.

BusManRG

The chairs in our 2017 BH's are not the same as in previous years. Mine are horrible and being replaced as part of the initial PDI. The wood up in the top scroll area is splintered, peeling, and missing stain. The chairs in the 2016 models had upholstered backs and were much more comfortable. Another one of the little changes made in 2017. I was disappointed, but understand change happens....just at least try for some quality.

Sandy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The coach is only 3 months out of the factory - not a lot of climate going on. The loose screws weren't the problem. All of the joints that were glued fit loosely and had a tiny drop of glue to supposedly hold them in place. Aliphatic resin glue (like Elmer's or Gorilla) are dirt cheap, so why scrimp?. A glued joint should not loosen with climate. Also, the seat lid was cockeyed. I also forgot to mention that the fiberboard bottom of the chair had 4 staples (out of 12) that completely missed the wood they were supposed to secure to. So this is not the result of climate changes - it's just poor workmanship. I've done some limited cabinetry construction and I do better work than whoever did these chairs. The good news is that since I repaired them, they will likely last.

I like JohnDar's idea - buy some solid Amish chairs that will last forever.

The construction techniques and materials used in several areas of these rigs leaves much to be desired. Like attaching wall boards by shooting the brads into the styrofoam and not the wood frame. Like you, I have acquired a fair woodworking skill set (and tools to go with it). If I build it, my name goes on it. Titebond III is my preferred adhesive.