DM2852 TOO cold

Diamondjim

Know this is not your normal problem with a Dometic refrig. Maybe it's just me.
First extended trip (will be out 4 months) in our Greystone 32RL, trying to get used to all its idiosyncrasies.

Trouble shooting in the manual does not include TOO cold in the unit. Ice cream is SOLID, no big deal, lettuce however should not be frozen.
Very weird way to control temperature, unit has a plastic slide (with probe??) inside, attached to the end fin in the back of the lower unit. You slide it up to make it colder, down to make it warmer, if I'm following instructions.
The Taylor thermometer reads about 31*, ice has formed on the lower fins (overnight) where condensate normally drips into water tray. It's been cool here in Ohio all week, yesterday it hit 84* (better than the 56* on Monday)

Suggestions as to how to "warm" the refrig up a bit, short of standing there holding the door open!:confused::confused:

I've searched here and found interesting comments about this model, not aware of any fan, or buttons inside the door of freezer etc. Maybe I should just be happy its working!!!

Thanks for your comments.

ksucats

Jim: I'm not familiar with your model but hopefully some of the following will give some ideas of where to check.

If your refrigerator is located in a slide out, make sure that nothing is blocking the airflow over the vents and cooling fins (open the top outside vent cover). Given that you say the freezer is freezing fine I don't think that is the problem but if you have to set your temperature control (on the control panel if any) to a high number that could be an issue.

The next thing is to make sure that your refrigerator portion is not too full (if overly full air can not circulate properly and you'll get some stuff frozen and other stuff will be warm(er). We experienced much warmer in fact. Our solution was to purchase a small battery powered fan (from an RV store - it also had activated charcoal pack to absorb food odors). Battery would last about a month. In any case, it provided enough air circulation that we didn't have the cold / warm zone issues.

As for the thermister (the thing on the fins) - yes that is what controls the temperature inside. Since cold air sinks, the lower you place that on the fins the colder the air is that it is contacting so the warmer (overall) your food will be. I seem to remember the top part of the coil feeling warmer at times. On our unit we were actually able to move that thing up a bit since the air was circulating better. As for the frost, ours would freeze up as well, sometimes a great deal. Found that the door to the unit wasn't sealing well all the way around so it was letting outside, humid, air into the unit. Found out by taking a small piece of paper (someplace I remember reading to use a new dollar bill) and tried to slide it around the door - if it slides easily the door is not sealing well and air is getting inside. Took it to an RV dealer to have a new seal installed to fix that one.

Hope something out of this proves helpful and which you many adventures in your coach.