Flooded NT 33BKSS Caliber

Good afternoon everyone. Earlier this week, I brought my 2014 North Trail 33BKSS out of storage to prepare for a weekend fishing trip with the family. I parked the trailer in front of my residence, hooked up power (to cool down the refrigerator & run lights) and hooked up water hose to city water connection so that I could run the faucets/toilet and clean the trailer before our trip. After hooking up the water, I went into the trailer and ran all the faucets and flushed the toilet to get the air out of the lines (trailer was drained and tanks emptied before putting in storage after last trip). After doing that, I left the trailer and went into the house. After several hours, I came outside (on way to work) and water was pouring out of the trailer all along the right side. I first shut of the hose connection and then entered the trailer. The kitchen, bathroom and rear bedroom/bunk house was flooded all along the right side (luckily I didn't level trailer from side to side). For the life of me I could not find the leak. I then opened up the outdoor entertainment/kitchen center and water came pouring out of it. The outside sink was filled and water was all over the place. I then started pulling all the drawers and access panels throughout the trailer where I could see water. Everything on the right side of the trailer was flooded. The outside sink would not drain, so I hooked up my dump hose (have sewer dump in my front yard) and dumped my grey water tank. Very little fluid came out of it, maybe a few gallons at the most and the outside sink was still holding water (sink stopper was not in it). I then dumped my black tank (yes they are the right tanks and I use a clear hose, it was definitely the black tank) and it was full!! While the black tank was being dumped, I watched as the outdoor sink then emptied. I then opened every window and roof vent along with both doors. I brought in every portable fan I own along with space heaters to dry out the coach and spent the next few hours cleaning up the mess and drying out the trailer. Needless to say I was a few hours late for work. My question is, how could the black tank have filled and then backed up into the outdoor sink? Is the sink connected to the black tank? I didn't think they did that. I know this sink is on the opposite wall from my toilet and it is about a foot lower than my toilet so it would make sense if the black tank overflowed to the sink if the sink drained to the black tank. Also my concern is that the trailer was flooded with black tank water. I took the trailer to the dealer today to get an estimate for my insurance company and the tech told me the black tank shouldn't have been full and that the sink has to be connected to the grey tank. Anybody have any thoughts on this or experienced the same thing. Sorry for the long read but any info is appreciated.

danemayer

Hi Mikey89148,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Sorry to hear about this mishap.

I don't know the particulars on the plumbing layout of your NorthTrail 33BKSS, but it's possible that a sink can drain into the black tank. Here's a diagram that RVIA uses to portray a typical drainage arrangement. Note the sink that drains to the black tank.

Attachments

• RVIA typical plumbing diagram.jpg
    RVIA typical plumbing diagram.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 57

Domi

Not sure if I can be of much help but I wonder why the black tank filled. Did the outside sink get left on? If that was the case then you most likely had fresh water doing the flooding which is marginally better then it flowing up from the black tank. You might want to see if you can find the cuase before spending a lot on a black water flood clean up.

Good Luck

John

@Domi.
Yes, I am confused as to why the black tank filled as well. I have not begun to look for the leak. Still waiting for the insurance adjuster to come and take a look at it. I took it to a local dealership that does insurance claim repairs and they told me that all the woo/particle board the water touched would have to be replaced due to possible swelling. There is some visible swelling and warped wood on the cabinetry in the back bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. Dealer thinks the floors and exterior walls should be fine but will know more when they can get it in which won't be until mid November. Our main concern though is if it was flooded with contaminated water from the black tank. I have a feeling this is going to be a long drawn out process.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Possible thing to look at:

This past January down at the Arizona HOC Tucson Rodeo Rally one of the attendees had a flood in their trailer.

Turned out what happened was when the toilet was flushed the last time, the flap didn't close completely (ie.- stuck open just a crack) and it kept the water dribbling into the bowl unbeknownst to the owners of the trailer.

A couple of hours later water was running out of the basement doors all over the ground under the trailer.

Fortunately, since that water was overflowing out of the top of the toilet bowl it was fresh water that was running out and didn't appear to do any black water damage.

Since then I make it a point to shut the water off outside of the trailer whenever we leave the trailer for more than a few minutes.

Not to mention that when ever the toilet is flushed I make sure that the water has stopped.

Just received a plumbing diagram from Heartland for my exact model. It shows that the outdoor sink does drain directly into the black tank which now answers the question of why the black tank was full and back flowing into the trailer. Now just have to find the source of the leak. I'm assuming it is in the faucet itself.

danemayer

Just received a plumbing diagram from Heartland for my exact model. It shows that the outdoor sink does drain directly into the black tank which now answers the question of why the black tank was full and back flowing into the trailer. Now just have to find the source of the leak. I'm assuming it is in the faucet itself.
Is it possible the faucet was left open during the winterizing process? Then when you connected the water, it would have just run until you opened that compartment while trying to find the water source. I recall someone having a unit shipped to Montana where that's exactly what happened, except in that case it was so cold that all the water froze.

Yes, that is definitely possible. I don't remember if it was on or off, I turned off the water source before I knew exactly where the leak was coming from. It goes to the dealer in a few weeks for the insurance repairs and we will find out if there is an actual leak or if I left the faucet open. My insurance company tells me it is covered but they do not have a "model/program for flooded trailers/RV's" so they opted not to send out an adjuster and are going off of the dealership's findings. My biggest concern is the black water backing up into the trailer. I always dump and flush the black tanks after every trip and then add about 10 gallons of water and my tank tabs when stored. However it never fails that one of the kids has to use the bathroom after everything is unhooked, so I know there was some waste in the tank. My insurance company told me if it was a house, everything the black water touched would come out and be replaced after a thorough disinfecting. Hopefully they treat the trailer the same way.

Sorry to hear about your luck, is it possible to share that diagram? I have the same trailer and am having some sewer smell issues, was curious about the diagram, thanks and good luck!