Gray Water #2 Replacement

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob what was wrong with your valve that you had to replace. Was it frozen and when you opened it with the handle you pulled the shaft out?
The problem I had with my gate valve was that it would never fully close. I had a continous leak. I had to get a gate valve and put it on the discharge conduit. I also had the cable housing seperate from the stationary part on the back of the UDC.

Second thought I think you said on another post yours was leaking. Does that mean you have to exersize the valve more? You full time so you probably leave the gray open and crud hardens on the valve so when you push it in the crud nicks the rubber and looses the seal.
I normally left the gray gates closed but many posted that they left the gray valves open while staying at campgrounds. I started to leave mine open also.

When I took the valve out it was stickey and I think this is what made the valve hard to pull and broke the back of the cable behind the UDC.

Is that what your thinking? I think coffe grounds and egg shells are probably the biggest culprit for a bad valve it is like sand blasting the seals IMOP.
I use a wire filter in my sink drains that I got from Wal-Mart. I try not to let any debris go down the drain. I am suspect that some of the problem might be grease from washing dishes. I use dawn dish washing liquid when washing pots, pans and dishes.

Ron

I posted previously about using these drain strainers in my sink. I think others use them also.

BC

Attachments

• DSC_1940M.jpg
    DSC_1940M.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 82

rustyone

Just my thought on keeping grey valves closed. While staying in an older park in the Orlando, Fl area, several years ago we had some criters coming up throught the traps into the sinks. You know the ones they call palmeto bugs down here(in MI they are cock roaches). We just decided that we would drain the tanks every 3-4 days and if they are in the hose they would wash back where they came from.

Rusty