M33 Mallard Grey Water Gauge

witzworld

Hello,

we purchased a M33 Mallard in Dezember.
WE took it several times out since then and never had a problem.
Now we living in the RV since a week and we think that the Grey/Black Water Tank Gauge is not very accurate.
I dumped both tanks this morning, took after that one short shower and did a couple of dishes and now the grey tank gauge shows that its 3/4 full.
Is there any knowledge or fix about that?
What is yours experience?
Thank you

danemayer

Hi witzworld,

Congratulations on the new Mallard and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Unfortunately, the tanks sensors are notoriously unreliable. Some people have had a measure of success by trying various cleaning techniques, but I think most of us pretty much ignore the tank sensors.

danemayer

How do you guys know then when to empty the tanks before its too late?

As you use the trailer, you get an idea of how long it takes to fill the tanks. In our case, there's 2 of us. The black tank is usually full enough to dump on a weekly basis. If we're stationary for a while, I'll leave the gray valves open for 5 days and then close them for days 6 and 7 so after dumping the black tank on day 7, there's water in the grays to flush the sewer lines and hose.

I position the hose with a partial loop to create a p-trap while the gray valves are open. To dump the black tank, I collapse the loop.

If you misjudge and the black tank is getting full, the toilet will start to "burp" when flushed. When that starts, you need to dump the black tank soon. You have only a few flushes left.

If you misjudge the shower gray tank, the shower will build up water in the bottom instead of draining. At that point you need to let some water out right away.

In our case, the kitchen gray tank has the least water in it and never fills up.

mlpeloquin

Some have added a Garnet 709 Sea Level II tank monitor system. They seem to be fool proof, but you do get a sense of when you need to empty. Take a shower and the drain gurgles, it is FULL! Only twice in over five years. We pull the handle every two days or each day when traveling. The black tank well lets say when it will splash back at you, you waited too long. I empty every three days. Always add plenty of water with each flush. Water is your friend with this tank. We have a washer/dryer combo so its tank is the bathroom gray water tank and it can fill it quicker than you think with three or four loads and two showers. You will get a sense over time with use.