New Bighorn Owner

jpiniowa

Duramax and Bighorn
Pulled the trigger last weekend and got a new 2012 Bighorn 3585RL. Was pleasantly surprised by an increase in milage when comming home. I pulled an 03 Cedar Creek 33RLTS over, 10500 lbs and got 8.4 mpg out of my 05 Silverado 2500 HD crew Duramax. Dropped the 5th wheel and went and refulled then went back to get my new Bighorn. Went back same route and wasnt jarred by the Bighorn that was longer and weighs in at about 12500 lbs. Temps were over 100 degrees and I got 9.7 mpg when I arrived at home. I am very happy with the room inside but I have had a few problems, I got up the next day and started moving more stuff back in-I live in my 5th wheel-and found a puddle of water in my basement. Found that fitting were not tightened at the docking station. Couple days later had water on the kitchen floor-fittings loose at the kitchen sink. I also have had one of the dining chairs split when I sat in it-I am only 150 lbs wet. I contacted my dealer and sent some pictures of the broken chair and told them about the water leaks. I havent heard back yet of the chair. I have noticed that the 5th wheel is a lot quieter as my lab doesnt hear me pulling in the driveway anymore. She doesnt know I am home till the keyless entry unlocks the door. I am currently looking at adding extra insulation to the basement and front compartments as I feel these areas are lacking, also getting skirting reworked and put back around the 5th wheel. Thanks to thoses who gave me info on the Bighorn. Hearing from owners was better then the storylines salespeople give you to sell their rv. Again Thanks, Joel:)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Congratulations, but don't be surprised if you weigh your new rig with all of your stuff in it and it's closer to 14500 lbs. As for the leaks, unfortunately they happen, but usually once you tighten them down, they don't reoccur. In regards to the chair, give your dealer a call-back, ask what's going on, then contact HL directly if they give you any B.S.

Westwind

Welcome to the Forum - lots of folks here who like to help when you have a problem and share there experiences with you. I have had to contact the factory for a repair to our HW heater while we were on the road and they were responsive and helpful. As you read through this forum you will find a company that does stand behind their product so I'm sure they will respond and help you out.
I'm sure you know RV's have bugs and it sounds like you have worked through a few. Good Luck and safe travels.

MTPockets

You selected a great brand... Big Horn is tops.... We had several things needing tightened... water line fitting, sink drains, wheels nuts, pin box nuts, axle u-bolts, cabinet door hinge screws, etc... etc... etc..... read all your manuals - they suggest this - follow the advice and schedules - just check them all yourself and avoid hassleing with the dealer... you'll be happy in the end.....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations, but don't be surprised if you weigh your new rig with all of your stuff in it and it's closer to 14500 lbs.
John is almost right on the money.
Our 3585RL weighed in dry at 12,620, just 120 pounds more than yours. Our traveling weight is 14,775.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John is almost right on the money.
Our 3585RL weighed in dry at 12,620, just 120 pounds more than yours. Our traveling weight is 14,775.

Peace
Dave

We don't even full-time and were able to add over a ton to the weight of this rig. But if you look in the basement, it's a lot of empty space. Didn't think my undies weighed that much. Maybe if I washed them more often....

Pizzaguy

Congrats JP. Hope you love your new 3585 as much as we love ours. What part of IA are you from?

jpiniowa

Duramax and Bighorn
I,m in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. Sorry I didnt get back to you been busy and havent looked at the web sight lately. I was still chasing a water leak in the basement till about 4 days ago. Not to be mean to anyone but someone said a few clitches are just normal in a new rig but I disagree. I am in the auto industry and if you go and buy a $52000 truck and get home with an antifreeze leak you are ****** off at someone, and I feel the same about my rig. I didnt want to see any problems that is why I bought a new one this time so I wouldnt have any problems. Still satisfied overall. Joel