New tires for 2014 Sundance 3380RL - 17.5's ?

Our rig is new and we have been travelling over 6000 miles with OEM fitted Towmax (235/85/16) over the past 2 months. Since taking ownership of the new rig some 3 months ago I became painfully aware of this weakness on our trailers and have been watching the tirws with eagle eyes while driving. Before leaving Dallas for Houston yesterday I noted a wobble on the front left tire. Replaced the tire with the spare and upon inspection noted the whole tire tread was warped with a huge bulge on the tire.

Want to, rather MUST, replace these with Michelin XPS which brings me to my question: Can I upgrade to a 17.5 rim and will the smaller space between the tires be an issue ? (Dexter axles equipped)

jnbhobe

Most 17.5 are a little smaller than the 16in tires make sure you get the right wheels to fit your studs 1/2 or 9/16

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have 4 235x85R16 Goodyear G614s mounted on the aluminum wheels that were taken off our RV when new (I had 17.5 wheels and tires that I put on). If interested PM me and we can talk price.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For a Sundance, you could consider a Maxxis tire which would be 80psi and probably fit your current rims. It would be massive improvement over the TowMax, and not as expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean-Pam

We changed out our TowMax to Maxxis and had no issues with our 11,000 mile trip across the country. Just remember they are still ST tires with a speed rating of 65MPH. We travel at 63MPH, so the speed rating wasn't an issue with use.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. I talked to the folks at CW yesterday. Very helpful as always. Got the Michelin rep on the horn and talked through some options. I reallly think the 17.5 option is the best in the long run but getting rims and tires on short order is an issue. I have ordered 5 G614 RST's to carry us through the trip. Will shed those Towmax tires and have CW dispose if them in a responsible manner so nobody ever get to use them on a travel trailer.

Truly a shame and irresponsible of Heartland to fit these tires on their equipment

sengli

Remember its not just heartland that had used these towmax tires. I was just to an indoor RV show yesterday, and saw many SOB TT trailers and fifth wheels with the towmax tires on them still, and most of the coaches were 2015 models. I got 5000 miles out of towmax's, then I switched to G614's just for peace of mind.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Remember that a multi-year contract between Heartland (or Thor, the parent company) and Tredit, the wheel/tire supplier, was probably in effect. Not an easy thing to "just stop", I'm sure. Heartland is no longer putting Towmax on the larger 5vers. Hopefully the transition will happen to all makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffdee

I got 1500 miles on my TowMax before the first failure. I replaced them with Hercules Power STR's, 12 ply.

So I had the Towmax replaced with GY 614 RST's today. Left the campground at Lake Travis in the early morning hours while its was pelting with rain. Nervous trip as I could not monitor (eyeball in the side mirrors) the tires all the way to CW just outside San Antonio. They had me back on the road I less than 2 hours. What a difference it makes to have peace of mind and not constantly worry about the tires. Trip to Kerrville was a pleasure to drive even though it was pouring with rain all the way. Will post an update when we get back to San Diego.

Advice to anyone buying a new trailer - INSIST on having the right tires installed before you take it off their lot

dalspot

We were lucky and got two seasons out of the original Towmax tires on our Sundance. Only had 2,000 miles on them. Hated to do it, but decided it was not worth the risk of problems. Replaced with the Maxxis two years ago, have made a trip out to Goshen and down to FL and back with no problems. We also keep to about 64 mph max. We are only a bit over 12,000 fully loaded, so they were an economical choice. No regrets.

rayk4e

I got 1500 miles on my TowMax before the first failure. I replaced them with Hercules Power STR's, 12 ply.

How do you like the Hercules Power STR's? I've been looking for a quality (and less expensive) alternative to the GY G614's that everyone seems to advocate and the Hercules is about the only one with the load rating I'm looking for and that appears to be a well made tire. Do they run hot or have you had any issues with them?

Hercules Power ST specs.jpg

Jim.Allison

I run the 17.5 inch G114. And all I can say is that those tires stand tall and proud, my trailer does not wobble or bob around, It tracks nice. I now have a TPMS system and all my tires run cool.

Before the Blowmax tire failure and subsequent $2000 worth of damage to my brand new rig at 1800 miles. I used to walk past those Towmax tires and look at the radial tire bulge at the bottom. I would check the cold inflation pressures and they would be at 80 psi. I never felt comfortable with those tires. So I can honestly say that I was not suprised when my first one blew and ruined that weekend for me.

Since then I tow confidently and safely at 65 mph. I can honestly say that it was money spent well.

Whichever you choose, the important thing is to get away from the Towmax which is obviously the incorrect tire for our rigs and get into something that is going to give you what you are looking for, if you have to worry about your tires then you have the wrong tires.

I have been reading that some members have been getting quotes in the $225 range on the G614s, this is quite a change in price. So those that were leary at 300 might be more comfortable with it at 225. It may be that the plumit in oil prices has dropped the tire prices as well.

My two cents.....

hbt7334

I recently had double tire failures on my new Gateway 3650BH. They were 235 85 R16 Towmax tires with less than 3000 miles on them. Both blowouts were catastrophic. Damage repair cost $3000. I contacted Heartland and they referred me to the tire mfg. I shipped the tires back to the MFG and was told in 6 weeks I would have a reply concerning their investigation. I suspect they will offer a small per tire settlement. Does anyone have an example of where the tire mfg paid for the damage to the RV. I'm still shocked that a product would be put on a new camper that is this poor.

danemayer

I recently had double tire failures on my new Gateway 3650BH. They were 235 85 R16 Towmax tires with less than 3000 miles on them. Both blowouts were catastrophic. Damage repair cost $3000. I contacted Heartland and they referred me to the tire mfg. I shipped the tires back to the MFG and was told in 6 weeks I would have a reply concerning their investigation. I suspect they will offer a small per tire settlement. Does anyone have an example of where the tire mfg paid for the damage to the RV. I'm still shocked that a product would be put on a new camper that is this poor.

Hi hbt7334,

Sorry about the damage to your Gateway. Based on past posts, I don't think you can expect to have the RV damage covered. You'll have to put in an insurance claim. So far as I know the only company that will pay for trailer damage is Goodyear, and that's on select tires like the G614. When one of our G614s threw a tread, they paid for the mobile servicer to bring a tire to us and install it, and also paid the entire cost of the body shop work, including paint. Others have also gotten similar reimbursements from Goodyear on G614s. What they're doing doesn't apply to all Goodyear tires and actually goes way beyond what they promise in their warranty statement.

hbt7334

just an update on my Towmax tire mess…..After 3 months Dynamic Tires (towmax) sent me a reply. They have offered me $250 as a goodwill gesture. They said there are no defects in the tires. This is exactly what I expected given the number of people that have experienced the same issues. I guess I'm just shocked that Heartland would continue putting these tires on their new RV's. Hopefully this info will eventually get back to them. Until then, I'm telling everyone that will listen about the poor quality of these tires. I have since purchased a full set of Michelin RIB's.