Pin box bolt torque 3670rl

Kevin and Henny White

Past California-Central Chapter Leaders
Hey All,
I wanted to let everyone know that today I was checking things around the pin-box and found ALL the bolts lose. One was visably lose. So I tried to find some info on the torque values and came to an almost dead end. However Morryde's web page on pin-box installation had a pretty good chart. The box on the Heartland has 4 bolts (Lipart 1621).The chart said it should have 5. Thats on each side. 5/8" bolts not sure of the thread (18 or 21tpi) I torqued them to 150 ft lbs because thats as high as my wrench goes. So if anyone has any input I would thank you for it. I am sure I can call heartland with the last 6 of the couch ID and get the wright answers, just lettin everyone know that it's something that I overlooked and did'nt think about but will in the future.
73's
Kevin

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Periodically I walk around the rig with a handful of tools and check all nuts bolts and screws. It is amazing how many you will find loose. Then a couple of times a year I do the same under the RV. Same result. Also check the inside and find them loose. Guess that is what you should expect from the 'rolling earthquake".

Kevin and Henny White

Thanks for reply but did not answer the question. Do you know the torque value and how many bolts do you have on each side of your mor-ryde? And how do you like the mor-ryde system.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are 5 bolts on each side. There are 3 bots on the front holes and 2 on the rear with the rear bottom hole open. I am not sure of the torque. I would have to call Mor-Ryde to find out for sure. We love the pinbox. Really helps with the chucking. Air bags on the truck dampen the bouncing that the roads cause.
We have had the pinbox checked a couple of times by Mor-Ryde just to be on the safe side. They found everything to be okay.

jpajax

The reason you only have 4 instead of 5 is that someone has lowered the pin box possibly to level the unit with the truck. If the camper is high in the front you can raise the pin box and put the extra bolt back in on each side. The reason I know is that with my old hitch I couldn't get the camper level unless I doped the pin box. But when I found that I had to give a bolt on each side I bought a new hitch that I could raise instead of lowering pin box.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The pin box torque is just another thing to keep an eye on. Just like tire pressure.
HERE is a link to bolt torque specs.

Peace
Dave

Kevin and Henny White

Thank you for the link cookie. I printed it out to put in Heartland file after my husband sees it. as for the bolts our pin box came that way. we leveled the trailer with the hitch was missing the bolts we did not know this untill today when we went on the mor-ryde site.Have some concerns but will make phone calls tomorrow.

jpajax

Make sure they are grade 8 bolts (which they probably are) but better to know for sure before you torque.

Kevin and Henny White

You are not going to believe this they were grade 5 and only four on each side! We were new to all this so we did not know to check this before we left with new trailer. So off to store I went got grade 8 and have 5 for each side. I am sure we will be safe this trip. boy someone must have been looking after us not sure what made me check them just did that one bolt was close to snapping!

Kevin and Henny White

Jim,
I have never lowered it when I went to check it had all original paint on bolts and washers from from factory.When I traded the bolts out because there were only 5 put 10 8's on factory must have painted after they put bolts in because where the four bolts were after taking them out the area was unpainted. Gald I found this now not while on the road this was a real safety issue.