Replacing Blackwater Tank

nomad45

Has anyone had to replace their black-water holding tank?

My top flange sometimes leaks slightly when filling-rinsing the tank to dump. I bought the 2011 Bighorn 3070RL second hand (almost new), and it took a while to locate the source of the "off" odor I detected occasionally. Not sure if it was a factory fault, but the top of the black tank seems to be pushed down substantially by the toilet pipe, and this may have have cracked the flange seal. Not sure if the toilet pipe extends below the flange, but the bottom of the pipe is at or below the level of the top sensor light! So if I wait for the "burp" to occur when flushing, the flange can already be leaking. (I now understand the reason for the low asking price...)

Tried fixing it with fiberglass around the flange (unsuccessfully). The black tank is located over top of the bathroom grey tank, and appears to be nestled over some structural steel as well (not just the straps). I do most repairs myself, but don't have the facilities or equipment for this one. How much labor time should I expect to have it replaced by a repair shop?

Anyone had a similar scenario?

Dave

Birchwood

I changed my black water tank at the campground.I removed the bottom ,insulation and basement walls.Had an RV mobile repairman help me and he charged me $300.Its kind of a nasty job but was 4 years ago and all is well.I think you could double the labour time if I hadn't done all the preliminaries.

nomad45

Thanks, Birchwood. I'm guessing mine will be a bit more...

I do plan on pulling the basement partition, dropping the underbelly, and then taking it a few miles to a large RV repair shop. Not sure I would want that job done here in the campground. They are estimating about 4-6 hours. I just wanted to see if anyone had any "issues" afterwards - anything that I could mention to the folks doing the work...

nomad45

Birchwood - did you purchase your tank from Heartland yourself? They have not gotten back to me with the correct part number yet. They said they would install the flanges before shipping, but the local repair shop wants to cut out and install the flanges here. He says its for proper fit, but more likely could be just to jack up his labor bill...

aatauses

I have not replaced my black, but did do my gray tank (the one below your black tank). If you want to save some time on labor, I think?? the gray tank has to come out in order to get to the black--if this is the case?? you could remove the gray---not a big job as I had someone help me and we did it in a campground---took about 4-5 hours.
Ordering a new tank---I called HL with my issue and they took the model, serial number and said the new tank from them would be exact with correct holes, wires etc---the tank arrived when they said and it fit perfectly---I would order from HL.
al

firstone

Can you just shorten the pipe running into the toilet? A great repair material for this is marine tex....... great stuff, and it is tuff. Find at boat shop