RESOLVED: 12v not working at all but shore power works. Please help newbie here.

Jmadison

Hi everyone.! I just bought my first camper and everything so far was great till we went to lower hitch and zero power to the whole camper. I have a 2017 heartland pioneer rl250 and found fuse box but all looks fine and battery is brand new. Any help would be fantastic.

Jmadison

Power works but no radio

I'm having issues already with my 12v not powering anything but now I plug in my power to my house all power works but the radio. It worked the night before so I'm not sure what happened.

danemayer

Re: 12v not working at all but shore power works. Please help newbie here.

Hi jmadison,

In addition to the 120V AC circuit breakers, and the 12V DC blade-type fuses, you also have some 12V DC mini-circuit breakers located near the battery. They're usually covered by red rubber boots. One of them has thick wires going to it and has a teeny-tiny itsy-bitsy reset button on the end. It's a manual reset. If it trips, the battery will not get charged by the Power Converter. Also, when you unplug shore power, all your lights will go out because no battery power gets to the interior.

Your breaker probably tripped some time back and the battery has run down. I've attached a picture of the breaker.

Attachments

• circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 16

Jmadison

I've found this but see no button
c59f9271042a78f5aea263386a22a6ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

danemayer

The button could be on either end. Sometimes it's hard to see and easier to feel. Check all the breakers.

Jmadison

Can I get shocked touching these?

danemayer

Can I get shocked touching these?

I've never heard of anyone getting shocked touching them. It's all 12V DC, so it's reasonably safe if you're not standing in a puddle of water. If you want to cut power to them completely, turn your battery disconnect OFF and turn off shore power.

Jmadison

You are so much help thank you. After further investigation no button but I think there is another box under the trailer. The search continues

Jmadison

Ok.... the hunt continues. I put a battery checker on my battery and its showing 12v. Good. Then I take my test light stick and it showes no light. I feel totally stumped.
acb56f810b91707f8e4a20bccd4f8630.jpg

danemayer

Maybe someone in the park has a volt meter you could use to see what the voltage is. Check with the office.

When you're on shore power, with truck disconnected, and everything is working correctly, you should measure 13.2 - 13.6V DC across the battery terminals. If you turn off shore power, a fully charged new battery will read around 12.6V DC.

If you can borrow a meter, let us know what your measurements are.

Jmadison

Ok unhooked all no power from shore. This is the battery reading still no power to inside or outside.
4fe844a9dd3ce4e8e107b88e19cd8311.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Ya might try removing the battery cables and wire brushing the corrosion off the posts and ends. Same for the leads to the breaker buss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmadison

Yes we just actually used a wire and brushed the battery and cables after picture because I was thinking the wires looked awful . Still nothing.

danemayer

Take readings at the 12V mini breakers. Use the ground shown by the black arrow. Each of the 8 red arrows point to a connection that should read the same at your battery (with shore power disconnected).

Buss bar with arrows.jpg

Jmadison

Will this work to test those fuses?
0cb300eb867cb788c0fa2213492f71b7.jpg

Jmadison

Ok it's a ground somewhere.
d6e5b71e7b4aaa503a89eab15665ee38.jpg

danemayer

Will this work to test those fuses?

The light won't tell you the voltage; just that something is there or not. Your other tester shows voltage.

Jmadison

We found it!!!!! Yesss!!! Thank you for all your help.. power now to everything.. so simple one of the grounds was loose.
82200f2166c1a82856f3eebaf75ad278.jpg