RESOLVED! LED Thermostat pulsated and is now dead, how do I trouble shoot?

2016 Landmark Key West with three AC units. The 2nd, or middle AC unit quit working. We have always used 50 amp surge protectors and have recently found the camper has another surge protector built in. While trying to figure out the problem we found the thermostat LED would pulsate when turned on. All settings were the same as they were when last used, but we were not able to adjust settings. Dominic's operating manual suggested resetting the communication with the unit by pressing two buttons simultaneously. The LED screen is now blank, with no lighting except when the power button is held down, yet there is no readout.
confused.png
We feel like there is a power supply problem, but we don't know where to begin troubleshooting. Has anyone had similar issues that can offer advise? Our closest service center is over an hour away and is generally backlogged up to two months.

danemayer

Re: LED Thermostat pulsated and is now dead, how do I trouble shoot?

Hi CountryMouse,

If the thermostat in question is the same as one of the others, try swapping.

Also, if you check with nearby RV parks and resorts, they can often recommend mobile servicers. You'd want someone who is authorized by Dometic to do warranty work and you also want to get prior approval from Heartland. Depending on what the problem turns out to be, the warranty claim could go against either or both companies. So you need approval from both before arranging the service call.

You should plan on paying the travel charge and not getting reimbursed. But That's usually a good trade off compared to hauling the trailer to a distant dealer and leaving it.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Like Dan said swap them. push in the little tab in the hole in the middle on the bottom of the control box and pull out and up. It's a good idea to mark the back of it with a #2 (for second AC) This way you can keep tract of which ones which. On my unit my main AC#1 and the bedroom unit #3 has a HP (heat pump) and my #2 is just the AC.

FYI: My bedroom AC quit a few weeks ago while it was sitting here at home plugged into 50amp service, Then after a 100 mile trip to Olema I tried it and all is working fine.

It never occurred to to us that paying for a service call may be more efficient than letting our camper sit at Camping World for two months waiting to be serviced. We like that idea, but would really like to know more about what our problem consist of first.

Thank you both, Dan and Jerrod, we will try swapping the thermostats. Numbering them will prevent confusion, so that is a great idea. Also, based on other similar posts we will be checking the electrical connections of the telephone like connectors. The HUG suggests checking the 3 amp fuses on the AC power board. Where is the Power Board?

RESOLVED ! Thank you everyone, including those who posted HUG and HOG, for giving advise and insight to trouble shoot. Our problems were two fold; One the telephone jack connectors were not making good connections (which we remedied by applying dielectric grease), and two one of the thermostats was actually bad. After swapping the thermostats within the unit we found the AC unit to be working, but the one thermostat would not change functions even after getting power and being reset. Camping World said they already had one customer with the same problem awaiting warranty service going on six weeks. We elected to buy the thermostat ourselves and be through with it. All three units are now working! Note to everyone with similar issues; please check the phone jack connectors on the backside of the thermostats before seeking service work. These connections are very finicky, or sloppy loose. Normal vibration from travel could easily cause power loss. If a thermostat is stuck in the wrong zone, try resetting the communication with the AC unit by simultaneously pressing the Zone and Mode buttons (On Domenic Whisper Quiet systems).

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can also call Heartland directly and send them a pick or two if you are still under warranty they will send you one for free.
If you tell them your going to install in yourself.
Just cut out the middle man. Especially CW !!!!
Have your vin # ready

Glad you have it figured out now..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You might want to follow up with Heartland, they may reimburse you for buying it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crossbow

Interesting... Dielectric grease is not a conductor but just the opposite it is an insulator so if you put it on the jack and it worked it was because something was shorting it out. Moisture, metal shavings, frayed wiring, bad connection on the RJ11 plug touching one stripped wire to another, etc. To me this is not a permanent answer. I would take the RJ11 and cut it off and strip the individual wires back and crimp a new one on.

mlpeloquin

Dielectric grease will stop the connectors from oxidizing and moisture from getting to the connector conductors. Pulling the connectors apart and reinserting them wipe them against each other and remove some of the oxidization. Oxidized metal does not conduct. It is an insulator.

Heartland was very happy to have me do the work. If they have the parts in stock, they ship it out ASAP. Two day delivery! Just need your vin number.

Timeout

[SUB]I just run into the same problem today. My thermostat was flickering when I tried to power it up and when I lifted off the power the led would flicker and go blank and is staying blank. swapped out the thermostat with the living room and same results. I am taking it to camping world tomorrow for other things to get fixed and I will see if a short road trip will shack it up to working. I am going to ask while I'm there and see if I can get more info on this.
Maybe some vibration will revive it:p
[/SUB]

wdk450

Dielectric grease will stop the connectors from oxidizing and moisture from getting to the connector conductors. Pulling the connectors apart and reinserting them wipe them against each other and remove some of the oxidization. Oxidized metal does not conduct. It is an insulator.

Heartland was very happy to have me do the work. If they have the parts in stock, they ship it out ASAP. Two day delivery! Just need your vin number.

I am a retired hospital biomedical electronics technician of 40+ years of working electronics repair experience. The best stuff I have ever found for improving contact connections is Caig DeOxIt D5. It has made contacts work where even filing them with contact files did not. You can get it online through Amazon or other vendors. Here is a You Tube video involving the improvement in a volume control double potentiometer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-YnWcoKlpo

Timeout

Thanks wdk450!!

I will get some DeOxIt D5 and I did Find the problem. The phone line connector on the AC unit was badly corroded so I replaced it and figured might as well replace the thermostat end too.

Working perfectly!!
Thanks for you advice on the DeOxIt D5. I like the video. Must have for the shop.

Thanks much
John:D

SNOKING

Thanks wdk450!!

I will get some DeOxIt D5 and I did Find the problem. The phone line connector on the AC unit was badly corroded so I replaced it and figured might as well replace the thermostat end too.

Working perfectly!!
Thanks for you advice on the DeOxIt D5. I like the video. Must have for the shop.

Thanks much
John:D

When I did the AC TSB on our new units, I used dielectric grease on those phone connectors under the units. Chris