Septic and Black water tank

Elev3100

Hi everyone, Newbie here. We just bought a Mallard M29. We plan on keeping it at our place in the NC mountains and not moving it for a while. We are having the land cleared and septic installed prior to bringing in the camper. We will be there about every 3 weekends or so. We are trying to figure out the best scenario for 2 things....
1 - Should we plan on dumping our black and grey water each trip into the septic hookup? Or is it possible to attach a somewhat permanent connection to the septic and pass through the black and grey water reservoirs?
2 - Since we do not have a well dug we will haul in our fresh water using a portable tank. Should we drain the unused water as we leave so freezing is not an issue? Anyone know of a portable tank that would be good for transport in this scenario?

All advice appreciated

jimtoo

Hi Elev3100,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

hoefler

The only way to hook up to your septic with out any future issues, is to remove the black tank and plumb it directly to the septic. If you sit there with the dump valve open on the black tank, you will have a poo pyramid, and that will be a fun project in itself to clean out. Greys can sit open all the time, but you will need to hold the black until it is full and dump as you would normally.

SNOKING

We have a summer and winter sites. We dump the tank once a week. The summer place has a septic tank and the winter one a sewer. If you are going to travel at a future date, then live with the holding tank for now. The other issue is the hole in the floor is in the wrong place to install a normal flush toilet in most rigs.

Chris

richheck

Seasoned Member
Another issue to think about is your RV toilet uses a minimal amount of water to flush, usually less than a pint where a normal stick and brick toilet uses over 1 1/2 gallons to push all the meter to the sewer line or septic tank to its final destination. Trying to push this meter with an RV typical flush will not push the material completely to the final destination and over a small period of time you will experience a buildup of this material in you lines and finally have total blockage.

In my opinion you will be better off dumping the black tank when at least 3/4 full and following up with a good push through with the gray tanks.

Grey Ghost

Just another trick I learned from someone else and I try to pass it on. Before we leave on a trip, I add a mixture of water softener (one cup of dry) and (a half cup) of dove dish soap to the black water tank and let slosh around on the way to the campground. I use about five gallons of water, it helps clean the sensors, keeps the tank smelling nice and also brick up and thing left after flushing the black tank. Just thought I would pass that along as someone enlightened me to this very neat trick! Have fun, enjoy and be safe out there!!:cool::cool:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just another trick I learned from someone else and I try to pass it on. Before we leave on a trip, I add a mixture of water softener (one cup of dry) and (a half cup) of dove dish soap to the black water tank and let slosh around on the way to the campground. I use about five gallons of water, it helps clean the sensors, keeps the tank smelling nice and also brick up and thing left after flushing the black tank. Just thought I would pass that along as someone enlightened me to this very neat trick! Have fun, enjoy and be safe out there!!:cool::cool:

Sounds like the "Geo Method."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elev3100

Thanks everyone! The camper should be in this weekend. I'm not trying to out do any one's pyramid for sure! Lol